Chapter Three

After we finished eating most of the men went back out to wherever while I went back to what I claim as MY couch.

I was going to help clean up, but they wouldn't let me. Apparently the fact that I made food was good enough, but to clean it up too would be scandalous. I guess it was good spaghetti too since they ate all of it leaving only a single bowl full from those big pots. A bowl which I, thankfully saved for anyone who didn't eat with us.

I found a blanket located on the other end of the cushion and took my chances with it. I wasn't planning on sleeping yet but, hey, why not? It hadn't been ten minutes when the door opened again and in walked Zachary. He looked around before looking at me.

"Where's everyone at? They'd usually be eating take out by now." He said as his eyebrows knit together in confusion.

"I cooked. There's still a bowl left in there if you want it." I closed my eyes as I spoke. Even if I was still in my dress nothing gets in between me and my sleep. Other than the thoughts of a young woman...

Now that I think about it, I don't have anything to wear tomorrow. I waited patiently for him to come out of the kitchen so we could discuss his use for me, but it was taking him awhile.

I sighed as I got up, throwing the blanket down on the couch. The cold floor greeted my feet as I walked to the kitchen. I saw Zachary standing looking confused. I sighed as I walked over and opened the fridge to take out the food. After I got the food out I heated it up in the microwave and sat on the counter waiting. Zachary leaned against the counter next to me making me uncomfortable.

I tried scooting away but I was already on the edge of the counter. The counter was a bit slippery from the men tried to wash it, tried meaning that they splashed a bunch of soap and water on it and whipped the towels at one another.

I stayed on the very edge trying to keep calm. I had been surrounded by men my entire life, but never like this.

The sudden sound of the microwave went off and I immediately sprung to my feet, only for the floor to be slippery for some reason causing me to lose my balance.

I closed my eyes expecting the impact, but, there was nothing. I opened them slowly, one at a time to see Zachary holding me up by the waist with his face only inches from mine. His hot breath fanned against my face making me blush even more. We stared at each other for a few moments before he finally stood me up.

I felt as if I missed his touch. No Laurel, you just met the guy, think logically. I sighed inwardly and walked to the microwave.

I left him with his meal and walked back out to MY couch. My heart seemed to still be beating fast and my stomach felt as if a flurry of butterflies had been released. While I intended to ask about what clothing I would be provided with, I will have to live for another day before anything is asked. Besides, I was exhausted and the pain from my wound was beginning to settle in.

They must have given me pain medication at some point.

It's probably just because he's the first real guy to show real attention in a slightly romantic way that was genuine. Not whatever Rodriguez tries with me.

I was left alone with my thoughts for a while until I eventually fell into a dreamless sleep. I hate those though, but any sleep is good. Besides, I was in the mafia. There was no such thing as 'good dreams.'