005

Beverly inspected her fingernails as she waited for Chris to come out of the bathroom. The song that played had put her in a bad mood, so she wasn't up for anything romantic at the moment.

Nancy then came walking down the stairs, her hair all messed up. "Hey, Nance," Beverly greeted, startling the girl a bit since she hadn't seen her. "Whoa, sorry."

"Oh, uh, no. Y-You're good," Nancy stammered as if she were hiding something. They were definitely doing more than just changing up there, that's for sure, Beverly thought, almost grimacing at the thought of Steve being shirtless even though she kept thinking about it.

"Everything okay?" Beverly asked, a hint of mischievousness in her tone.

"Yeah, uh, everything's great. Did you see Barb leave at all?" Nancy questioned.

"Yeah, a little while ago. She went out this way." Beverly pointed to the back sliding door that led to the backyard and pool. Because of she was stuck on her little angry moment with Chris, she had no idea what had actually went on in the backyard just a few minutes prior.

Nancy nodded slowly. "And Chris?"

"Bathroom," Beverly answered before she smiled lightly. "So, how was Steve?"

Nancy practically choked on air. "Uh — uh, w-what?"

"How is Steve?" Beverly changed her question, trying not to laugh.

"Oh, uh, Steve...he's great. I really like him," Nancy told her, a little confused as to why Beverly was making an effort to talk to her. Whenever she had seen the girl around her house with Chris, all she would get was a little head nod if that. Nancy thought that maybe she was finally starting to fit in with the popular crowd.

"Really? He can be a bit of a douche," Beverly commented with a shrug, leaning back against her seat.

"Have you...have you been with him before?" Nancy queried, thinking that maybe the reason why Beverly hated Steve so much was because they were exes. Nancy was never brave enough to ask Steve that question, though.

Beverly laughed out loud before she realized that people were sleeping upstairs. "You're joking," she said, but Nancy slowly shook her head. "You're not? Whoa, I thought you were smarter than that — Uh, no, I've never dated Steve and I've never wanted to. I've practically hated him my whole life."

"Why?" Nancy asked awkwardly.

Beverly thought back to the Snow Ball before shoving the memory out of her brain. "One, his stupid hair. It's so obnoxious. Two, he friends with those two jerks, Carol and Tommy."

"Oh, they're not that bad," Nancy interjected.

"Come on, Wheeler, they both bully your best friend, you don't have to lie and say they're fine just for Steve's sake. I'm not even friends with them," Beverly called her out, making the girl swallow hard. "And three, I just hate him. He thinks he's this king of Hawkins High when he's just, well, a douche. Sorry to say that about your boyfriend, but..."

Nancy scoffed quietly, making Beverly arch a brow at the girl's sudden change of demeanor. "I've never said anything bad about you to Chris," she pointed out.

"Because there's nothing bad to say about me," Beverly countered with a slight smirk.

"Well, I just think it's a little unfair that you're judging Steve like this."

"Look, Nancy, I'm just being honest. It's never good to lie, so I rarely do it. Especially when it comes to pointing out Steve's behavior. I'm not judging you or anything for dating him, he can be quite the charmer when it comes to girls, but I wouldn't let him...change you. You don't wanna go to the dark side," Beverly explained, using Star Wars terminology since she secretly loved the movies.