065

Steve had driven the group to a large, unoccupied field so they could get ready for the looming battle without any cops or angry hicks finding them.

They had separated into their own little groups:, Beverly, Steve, and Robin in one; Carmen, Chris, Eddie, and Dustin in another; Alicia with her siblings in another one; and then Nancy and Max.

"How's she feeling?" Dustin asked Eddie, referring to their shields made out of trash can tops and nails that they had just put together.

Eddie stuck his arm out as he held the shield, testing it out. "Light. But durable." He then pushed his hand up once more. "Deadly. But reliable." Both Dustin and Chris chuckled at that.

"Hmm, I don't know. I think we may have to test it out first. Chris...care to be the tester?" Carmen asked the boy, making him scoff at her. "I'm not joking."

"Oh, trust me. I know," he responded, rolling his eyes.

Eddie ignored the both of them, not willing to become a mediator in their squabbling just yet. He pointed his hand forwards and said dramatically, "Hear me now. There will be no more retreating..." he lowered his shield, "from Eddie the Banished," he finished in his normal voice.

"Ooh, Eddie the Banished. I like that," Carmen complimented. "What could my name be? Carmen the...Sexy?"

"More like Carmen the Crazy," Chris corrected her, giving her a look.

"Oh, I thought you had already taken that one, my bad," she bit back, crossing her arms over Eddie's jacket she had still been wearing.

"It's actually Chris the Cryptic, thank you very much," he rectified, seeing the way Eddie's jacket crinkled under Carmen's arms as if it were bragging that she had been wearing it and not him.

"Hm, I'm surprised you even know what that word means," she muttered under her breath.

"What was that?" he questioned.

"What?"

"You said something."

"No, I didn't."

"Yes, you did."

"No, I didn't."

"Yes, you d—"

"Okay, let's just stop right there before this goes one for hours, 'kay?" Eddie quickly butted in, not wanting them to keep bickering since they both just had to get the last word in.

"Hey, you're really ready for bat-tle," Dustin joked out of the blue, causing the three older teens to give him a look as he laughed at his own joke. "You get it? 'Bat-tle.' B-A-T," he spelled out as they just continued to stare at him. "No?" he groaned. "I thought I had a good one."

"Better luck next time," Carmen commented before Eddie charged at Dustin from out of nowhere, causing her and Chris to jump a bit in fright. "Eddie!"

"What are you doing?!" Dustin questioned before Eddie tossed him away, a mischievous smirk on his face. "You son of a bitch!" he said before he tried to tackle Eddie, unable to since Eddie was much taller than him. "No wedgies! No wedgies!"

Eddie then grabbed Dustin by the back of the neck, forcing him to look up at him. "Never change, Dustin Henderson. Promise me?" he said, making Carmen tilt her head slightly at the cute interaction; Chris had done the same.

"I wasn't planning on it," Dustin replied, a little taken aback by what his friend had said.

"Good," Eddie said before he said more forcefully, "Good."

"Good," Dustin repeated with a laugh.

Eddie then let go of him, walking away. "Hey, Sinclairs! How are those, uh...those spears coming along?" Eddie called out to the three Sinclair siblings.