009

After getting the graffiti off the sign, Steve hopelessly drove around to try and find Nancy. Chris sat in the passenger seat while Beverly sat in the back, looking out the window. "Look, man, I should have stopped Tommy and Carol when I had to chance. I was just angry," Steve said to Chris as he drove.

"It's fine. You weren't the one that wrote it and you cleaned it up now anyway," Chris told him, shaking his head.

Beverly looked away from the window, giving her boyfriend a look of disbelief. "It's not fine, Chris," she spoke up. "It doesn't matter if he wrote it or not, he still let those pricks do it. And it's literally your twin sister! You could have stuck up for her!" Beverly spoke up from the back seat.

"Just because you hate me doesn't mean you can try to get Chris to hate me," Steve butt in, rolling his eyes.

"Shut up, Harrington. Your actions have consequences, and it seems like I'm the only one here who cares," she replied, crossing her arms over her chest.

Steve looked at her using his front mirror, seeing her pissed off look. He wasn't sure if she was just being mad at him to be mad at him, or she was actually angry at his actions.

"Bev, that's not true. We care. I've just forgiven him," Chris told her.

"Yeah, a little too early to forgive him if you ask me. He embarrassed your sister and is the reason why Jonathan is probably in jail right now. He's already dealing with enough as it is, and don't you dare say he deserves it for taking those photos. He made a mistake and Nancy has seemed to forgiven him because maybe he explained himself," Beverly went on, completely furious that Steve was getting away with this shit. "You don't always have to defend him all the time."

"Be—"

"No, man...she's right," Steve spoke up, and they both looked over at him in confusion since they never thought they'd hear him so those words. "You don't have to defend me for this. I mean, I'm thankful that you are, but I fucked up. It's your sister, dude. It's Nancy! I shouldn't have done that. I should have just talked to her about it," he continued, shaking his head.

"Yeah. You should have," Beverly agreed slowly, nodding her head. She was surprised that Steve was finally addressing his own actions and not blaming Carol and Tommy. But that didn't mean she liked him for it.

"I'm an asshole," Steve added.

"Yeah. You are," Beverly agreed once again.

"Okay, Bev, he gets it," Chris told her, giving her a look over his shoulder.

"I know, just had to make sure," she replied with a shrug.

After driving for what felt like hours — it probably was because the sun had gone down and there was barely anyone on the road — Beverly suggested going to Jonathan's place on a whim. The boys weren't sure if that was a good idea or not since they didn't know why Nancy would be there of all places, but she said it wouldn't hurt to try.

And even if Nancy wasn't there and Jonathan was, they could apologize to him for being asses.

Steve parked the car in front of the house and the three of them got out, walking up to the disheveled home. Beverly frowned, feeling bad that the Byers were living in these conditions with everything going on.

Steve rapped hard on the door. "A little much, you think?" Beverly said, giving him a wide eyed look.

Steve sighed before he yelled out, "Jonathan?" He knocked on the door again. "Are you there, man? It's — it's Steve!"

"And Bev and Chris!" Beverly added, wrapping her arms around her body since it had gotten cold outside.

"Listen, we just want to talk!" Steve yelled as he continued knocking.