046

Beverly Crawford sat in the backseat of Steve Harrington's car because Robin Buckley wanted to sit in the front since it had the mirror for her to do her makeup.

The Harrington boy offered to drive Robin to school, like he had been doing since the first day of school for her, and Beverly always came along since it would save Steve the hassle of going back to his house, since they had practically been living together, and picking her up later anyway.

"What should we do this weekend?" Beverly asked her boyfriend since they always liked to do something nice on the weekends to just hang out and relax.

"Uh, maybe we could rent a movie from the store and watch one?" Steve suggested, shrugging.

Beverly groaned. "We did that last weekend," she told her boyfriend.

"Oh! Oh, no, you're right. Maybe we could...go eat at that nice diner?"

"No, we did that the weekend before the last one."

"Shit. Um...Robin do you have any suggestions?" Steve asked his friend, who was still doing makeup in the front seat. When she didn't answer, Steve questioned, "Robin? Robin, are you listening?"

"Uh, yes. I'm — I'm listening."

"What did I just say?"

"Something about watching a movie for your date," Robin said slowly.

"No, we decided against that before!" Steve shouted at her and Beverly snickered quietly.

"Cut me some slack, please!" the girl exclaimed, her eyes wide.

"Well—"

"Your love life with Bev is one of labyrinthine complexity," Robin said and Beverly scoffed at her. "And it is 7:00 in the morning, we have the stupid pep rally, and I woke up looking like a total corpse."

"Oh. You're worried about a basketball pep rally? You expect me to believe that?" Steve said, shaking his head.

"Yeah? So?"

"So we all know what this is about. Okay, I'm not buying that bullshit. Neither is Bev," he told her and Beverly hummed. "This is about Alicia coming to visit later."

"Definitely about Alicia," Beverly agreed, crossing her arms over her chest. Robin would always go to the back room where the phone was to have long conversations with Alicia, even though Beverly was the one who was supposed to be Alicia's best friend. But Alicia had told them all that she would be visiting for Spring Break Week, and Robin seemed particularly excited about it.

"Absolutely not," Robin denied.

"Yes, it is. And you know what else I think?" Steve continued.

"I really don't care wha—"

"I think you gotta stop pretending to be someone else when you're around her, okay? You just gotta — you just gotta be yourself," he advised and Beverly nodded encouragingly, liking the advice her boyfriend had given the girl. She wished she could help Robin and tell her that Alicia held the same feelings, but she didn't want to out Alicia if she wasn't ready to come out to other people yet.

"You're literally quoting me to me. You do realize that," Robin pointed out.

"Well, maybe you need to listen to yourself. You think about that, smartie-pants? I listened to you. Now, look at me. Boom, I'm still dating Beverly," Steve smugly replied.

"Still?" Beverly repeated, furrowing her brows. "What, you think without Robin's help that we wouldn't still be together?"

"You know I'm dumb, right?" Steve said, and Beverly thought about it for a moment before she shrugged and nodded.