042

The group waited until the movie ended, and when people started to walk out, so they could merge into the larger group — essentially blending, according to Dustin.

Dustin carefully opened the bathroom door, looking out to make sure the coast was clear for them to walk out and blend. "And...blend." They all walked out of the bathroom and joined in the middle of the larger group of people, trying not to get caught by anyone.

"Well, shit, that worked," Erica commented once it seemed like no even noticed them.

"'Course it worked. Now we just have to get in the bus with the rest of these plebes, and home sweet home, here we come," Dustin described.

"Uh, Dustin?" Steve spoke up quietly.

"What?"

"Yeah, we might not wanna go to your house."

"Why?"

"Steve may have messed up a bit," Chris told him, rolling his eyes at the boy.

"Huh?"

"I might've told them your full name," Steve revealed shamefully.

"What is wrong with you?!" Dustin whisper-shouted.

"Dude, I was drugged," Steve argued.

"So?"

"So?" Steve repeated in disbelief.

"So, you resist. You tough it out. You tough it out like a man," Dustin told him.

"Why not like a woman?" Alicia questioned, and all the girls in the group nodded along.

"Oh, you know what I mean," Dustin said, shaking his head.

"Oh, yeah, it's easy for you to say," Steve bit back.

"I think we should stay quiet," Beverly whispered, not wanting to be caught because of Steve and Dustin's stupid bickering.

"Guys?" Robin spoke up, noticing the Russians at the front looking at people's ID's.

"Abort," Dustin said before the Russian and him made eye contact. "Abort! Abort!"

They turned around and started running towards the escalators that were closed down. "Shit! Shit, okay," Robin breathed out, trying to come up with something. "Here." She slid in between the two escalators, using it like a slide.

"Come on, let's go, let's go," Steve said, pushing Beverly in front of him so she could go down before him. She slid down after Robin and the rest followed as fast as they could.

"Where do we go? There's no way we can make it out of here without them catching us," Beverly panted, looking around frantically.

"We gotta hide," Steve said before he spotted a store with a counter to hide behind. "There." He grabbed Beverly's hand and pulled her over, followed by everyone else.

They all smushed behind the counter, pulling their knees up to their chests so they weren't seen from over the counter at all. They all breathed heavily, even though they were trying to be as quiet as possible.

But they knew there was no way the Russians would just leave and give up. They would have to come up with some other way to escape that didn't involve them getting shot at, but there weren't a lot of good ideas that included that wish.

They heard the sounds of faint voices that were speaking Russian. They assumed that they were calling for backup which was even worse.

Beverly shut her eyes for a second, trying to focus on calming her breathing so her loud pants weren't heard by the Russians. She then felt someone's hand in her own and she opened her eyes to see that it was Steve's, and he was looking at her. She bit the inside of her cheek and gave him a meaningful look, one that read that she was scared.