06

ALANI

All I wanted was a drink.

I should have known that a conversation was bound to follow.

I was minding my business while waiting for Silvana after she had asked me to meet her. I was frustrated with my evening and thought...why the fuck not. Regret settled in as I tried to pay attention to the man whose name I had forgotten.

"I'm sorry," I interrupted him, raising my hand. "What was your name again?" I asked, genuinely confused on why he was talking to me in the first place.

I was just sitting at the bar, patiently waiting for my friend to show up when I was approached by a man I didn't recognise. It was dark but every now and then a flash of light would pass on his face and I would get a glimpse of his features. Light brown hair, and light eyes—that was all.

I didn't bother looking any more than necessary because I had absolutely no interest in entertaining him.

His face dropped. "Victor," he said, making sure to put emphasise on the two syllables.

I nodded. "Okay," I drawled, chuckling uncomfortably as I tapped my fingers on my thigh, a little impatient.

I was two drinks in and I was yet to receive a response from the person I was supposed to be meeting. Fucking Silvana. I loved the girl, I swear I did—but the way my night was going, I started to rethink that love.

"Now that we're pass that," Victor murmured, resting his elbow on the bar top. "Do you have a boyfriend? Not that it matters, just saying." I almost choked on my drink. Who the fuck was this guy? He just showed up out of nowhere.

I knew I was prejudiced in that moment because if he was hot it might have been a different story.

"Listen, I'm waiting for someone," I said, an attempt at getting him away from me. My phone vibrated in my hand and I unlocked it as soon as the message popped up on the screen.

It was from Silvana.

You're going to hate me.

Oh for fucks sake. I pursed my lips, and overwhelming amount of annoyance sinking in. Nothing tonight seemed to be going right. Nothing at all. First, a date with a condescending asshole and then my friend ditching me. The very friend who set me up with the condescending asshole in the first place.

If I didn't know any better, I would say that Silvana had it out for me.

"And?" Victor asked, a small smile gracing his lips.

"She'll be here any second," I lied, turning to set my drink down and when I looked back at him, his head was leaned over and his eyes were on my screen. I gasped, snatching the phone away as I scowled at him.

The fucking audacity.

Victor chuckled, not bothered by the fact that I was glaring at him as hard as I could.

"You don't have to lie to me. I'm not going to hurt you," he said, and for obvious reasons, I didn't believe him. I looked around the filled club, trying to figure a way out. I couldn't go to the restrooms—who knew if he was planning on following me or not.

"At least let me give you a ride home. You're a little drunk, aren't you?" he said, inching closer to me with that same smirk on his face. I wasn't drunk, not even close. I had two drinks but one was a mocktail and I asked the bartender to prepare the other with less alcohol than usual.

I understood the risks of being alone, especially as a woman and being under the influence in a crowded club seemed like a nightmare.

I almost laughed at myself. Not too long ago I had a one night stand with a man after knowing him for less than an hour. He could have literally killed me and the way he fucked me, he might have wanted to do just that.