18

ALANI

"Is he your boyfriend?" Cecelia asked, her tone laced with mischievousness. I nearly choked on the coffee Valerio had made. Boyfriend?

"No," I said, shaking my head while I cleared my throat.

"Are you sure?" she asked again, her eyes narrowing into slits as she stared at me. Of course she was able to see right through me but I wasn't lying. Valerio and I weren't in a relationship, that much was clear.

But what were we? Just two people who fucked and went on dates? Friends with benefits? I don't think that title included dates and sleepovers and home cooked meals.

"Yes I'm sure—I mean, I don't know, Lia. We had a small argument and I kind of told him I wasn't his," I murmured, almost wincing at my words.

Cecelia's eyebrows rose in shock and she inched forward, curiosity plastered all over her features. "What did he say?"

"Nothing." I shrugged. "He just laughed at me."

"Ooh," she whispered. "Interesting."

"Right? What did he mean by that? It made me so mad at the time that I hardly thought about it," I said, taking another sip of my coffee. Coco was peacefully sleeping in her carrier, right next to my feet.

Cecelia said she wasn't friendly but the kitten looked pretty friendly to me, or perhaps Valerio had softened her up.

"Alani," Cecelia said, catching my attention.

I looked at her. "What?"

"You know how men with big dicks laugh when you say they have a small dick," she said, taking a bite of her toast that she had made.

I chuckled. "Yeah, that's usually the case."

Cecelia didn't say anything. Instead she pursed her lips, a small smirk on her face as she gazed around the kitchen.

"What?" I asked again, pondering on it for a second and then the realisation hit me. Valerio knew that he had me wrapped around his finger. That's why he had no rebuttal against it, almost as if he found humour in the fact that I denied it.

"Wait. Are you saying that..." I trailed off, watching her nod in response. I scoffed. That little fucker.

Although, I couldn't help but find it...endearing. He didn't get mad or turn into a brute who couldn't handle denial. He chuckled and kept it moving. I almost forgot about the part where he mentioned going back to his car for his gun.

I had to remember to have a serious conversation with him about that because there was no fucking way.

"Yip," she said.

"I barely know him," I said, and that was the truth. I barely knew Valerio. I knew that I couldn't stay away from him. I also knew that he fucked me good and fed me sometimes but that was it.

"What's your point? Get to know him then. No harm in trying," Cecelia said, shrugging as she quickly made sure Coco was still okay. The kitten was snuggled on a soft blanket without a care in the world.

My lips tightened. "You're right. I need to open up more."

Cecelia nodded, and I took a sip of my coffee. It was surprisingly good, even though yet again—he used items I already had. Was he just amazing at everything?

"Enough about me. How's Ava?" I asked, referring to her long-time girlfriend. They had been dating for three years, since the final year of Cecelia studying to be a teacher.