51

ALANI

"I'm so hungry," I commented, gazing around the partially empty restaurant. It was nearly a week later and Valerio and I were out for dinner, the both of us in the mood for a meal before a late night drive.

It was our first time out in ages and I took the opportunity to dress up in one of the dresses Valerio had gifted me. From the cut of the neckline, it was obvious that his main goal was a view of my cleavage while he sat opposite me at the table. I had no complaints.

It was pretty, and something that I would have chosen for myself. The anklet was another one of my accessories that I never took off, a reminder of one of the best nights we've ever had. Plus, it was cute and looked nice next to his face.

Of course, against my better judgement, I hadn't taken the Doctors advice into account—the part where he said I should stay away from strenuous activity. It took two days to give in and let Valerio bend me all the different ways he wished to.

Thankfully, the wound was healing perfectly and I had removed my stitches just that morning.

"Shouldn't be too long," Valerio said, a smile on his full lips. "You haven't eaten all day, amore. The breads warm, I can butter it for you if you want."

He was already picking the bread and a butter knife, as if he just knew my hungry self was about to say yes. I grinned, gratefully accepting it and taking a bite of one my favourite things in the world.

His eyes never left me, the warm gaze so intense and the soft smile so tender. Even as I stuffed my face, Valerio set his elbow on the table and rested his chin in his palm while looking at me as if I was the most captivating thing in the world.

How interesting was it to watch me eat? I rolled my eyes at him and his grin stretched wider—unfazed by me.

"You're looking at me as if you want," I said, narrowing my eyes into slits as I stared at him.

"I do," he muttered as he smirked.

I raised a brow. "You're not talking about the bread, are you?"

"Nah," Valerio said, shaking his head and I chuckled. It didn't matter where we were and if I didn't have a say, I was sure we would have partaken in a little exhibitionism.

"Later," I answered, finishing up my bread. "I'm still recovering from this morning."

Valerio groaned and his arms left the table, his back meeting the rest of the chair as he relaxed. "This morning. I didn't know you could do that—"

"Okay!" I suddenly said, looking around the restaurant to make sure no one had heard him but we were sitting quite a distance from other patrons. "We're in public, Rio."

"Okay," he said, raising his hands in defence before reaching over the table and resting his hand on my own. "You just look so beautiful, my love. So, so, so fucking beautiful."

The way I smiled, one would have sworn I was just hit with cupids bow. So fucking cheesy. My face flushed red with a blush, one that sneaked up out of nowhere and left my cheeks warm to the touch.

Valerio chuckled, turning our hands to stroke his thumb in the middle of my palm. My heart was about to combust in my chest, and it was all because he told me I was beautiful.

He said it every day, but he always made me feel as if he meant it.

I'd never get tired of hearing it, but I was tired of blushing. When does one get use to compliments? It had to be soon because I couldn't take it anymore.