33

ALANI

Fuck.

Did he really just say that?

I leaned my head back, observing his face for anything but the truth. Valerio's eyes were soft as he stared at me, not bothering to conceal the desperation on his face.

Desperation for me to believe him? If only he knew how long I had been waiting to hear those words. If only he knew how long I had been waiting to get it off my fucking chest.

The confession struck a chord in me, strumming over the strings of my heart. I'm falling for you. I'd never forgot how that made me feel.

"I mean every word, amore," Valerio murmured. "I know that it might seem rushed, or I'm saying this to you because I need a shoulder to lean on and you're here with me. It's nothing like that, I promise. I'm not going through a terrible time right now and confessing in the heat of the moment. I have feelings for you, Alani. More than you'll ever know and—"

"Valerio," I breathed, cutting him off with my palm over his mouth. "I believe you."

My hand quickly got replaced with my lips, finding his own and stealing two consecutive kisses. "I believe you," I repeated. "I feel the same way. I've felt like this for a while now."

Almost immediately, Valerio's shoulders dropped as he unleashed the tension he had been mindlessly holding.

"I fucking dare you to say some sarcastic shit," Valerio whispered. "I feel very vulnerable right now. Do not fuck with me—"

I chuckled, giving him another kiss on the side of his mouth. "I'm not messing with you. I swear."

He stilled, searching my eyes for any dishonesty. "Yeah?"

"Yeah," I confirmed, nodding my head. Slowly, the biggest grin lightened up his face and Valerio stood up. He took my hand in his, helping me to my feet before embracing me in tight and warm hug.

I smiled, returning the hug by wrapping my arms around his neck and I was lifted off my feet. My legs wrapped around his waist as he held up with ease, squeezing my body against his and I felt him smile into my neck.

I felt his heartbeat against my chest and I relaxed in his hold, letting myself enjoy the warmth and comfort he had to offer. Those arms. Valerio gave the best hugs, not only because of how good he felt but Valerio wasn't shy to squeeze me.

He gave hugs like he meant it, and it was one of my favourite things about him.

"You're amazing," Valerio whispered, giving me a kiss below my ear. "You know that?"

"I do now," I said, chuckling when I felt his hand slip underneath my ass. "You just can't control yourself, can you?"

"I am controlling myself," he said, giving me a light squeeze. Valerio set me down on my feet, but he didn't let go.

His arms slipped around my waist, pulling me deeper in. He didn't want to let go of me, and I didn't want him to either.

It was safe to say that he was no longer frowning and his mood seemed significantly better. I was grateful for it, but the penetrating worry still lingered. I was worried for Valerio and the chance that his love for his brother might get in the way of him protecting himself.

I didn't want him getting hurt physically or emotionally. But I had to remember that there was reason why Valerio was in the position he is and that I should never underestimate him.

"Listen to me," Valerio said, lifting my chin with two fingers. "I know you said you're mine but—"

"But." I winced. Why was there a but?