35

VALERIO

Was it too much?

I was worried that my gifts to Alani might be excessive, but I didn't care.

I stood before her, watching her glance over the paper in her shaky hand. She looked so beautiful. So perfect. Her dress was simple and small, just the way she liked it. I bit my lip, almost wincing when her eyes widened.

Okay, perhaps it might have been too much.

But I wanted to take care of her, even if that just meant she never had to worry about another payment on her house ever again. Fuck, the more I thought about it and the longer I stared at her—I had no idea if she was mad at me or not.

Why wasn't she saying anything?

Her silence had my heart racing, and the unreadable expression on her face had an uncomfortable lump forming in my throat.

"Alani," I said, but my voice croaked against my will. I cleared my throat and straightened my shoulders. "Amore, you're really fucking scaring me. Can you say something, please?"

"Valerio, I—" She cut herself off, shaking her head. Alani took a dainty step forward, resting the paper on the edge of the bed.

I couldn't stop looking at her, even when she turned her back to me and I saw her hands rise to her face. Now that really fucking scared me. I couldn't tell if she was upset or stunned, and the uncertainty almost drove me up the wall.

I took a hesitant step towards her, resting my hand on her bare shoulder. "Alani," I breathed. "Please speak. Tell me if I fucked up. Tell me if you're happy."

Nothing.

"Alani," I said firmly, needing to have her attention before I went insane.

Nothing.

She wasn't answering me, but I wasn't going to step away. And I knew I made the right decision when she spun around, her eyes glossy with tears threatening to fall but I had no time to be concerned when her lips found mine. She kissed me hard, wrapping her arms around my neck to deepen the kiss in a way I never felt before.

I gasped against her, not expecting it but I kissed her back as her lips melted away the tension in my body. I clasped my hand underneath her ear, through her curls while my eyes fluttered close.

The relief that rushed through me was unimaginable, in the best way possible. She wasn't mad, and that was all that mattered.

"You didn't fuck up," she whispered, giving me soft kisses between her words. "Not at all. I was so fucking close to being evicted and I cannot thank you enough, Valerio."

With me, I never wanted her to struggle. I was aware that she had missed the last few payments on her house after doing the necessary research. It surprised me because I had no idea that she had issues.

Alani never spoke about her financial problems and it seemed that all of her money went to her education. She never missed a bill when it came to her degree. Her education was important and if I could alleviate her side burdens, I would.

"Kisses will do," I said softly, entirely meaning it.

Just being able to kiss and touch her was enough. Just knowing that I was the only one who had access to her was enough.

Other men looked, but I touched and fucked and that was all I needed. She was also mine to take care of, and I wouldn't have it any other way. My feelings for her grew as she held me close to her body, almost to the point where I didn't want to let go of her. I wanted her close to me, always.