09

ALANI

What am I about to put myself through?

Valerio opened the door, stepping aside to let me in. The car was low on the ground, nearly impossible for me to sit myself in the passenger seat without flashing Valerio—which I don't think he'd mind. He held a hand out to me, and I smiled gratefully as I let my fingers enclose around his own.

"Careful," he murmured, steadying me.

I set one foot in, my legs spreading wide open as he helped me until I was sitting comfortably in the passenger's seat. Valerio shut the door but as he rounded the hood, I didn't miss the smirk on his face.

Fucker.

"Where are we going?" I asked, which I probably should have done earlier. To make sure I looked okay after Valerio kissed the shit out of me, I pulled down the mirror and inspected my face and hair.

"A cousin of mine is having a function," he said. I pushed the mirror back up, turning to look at him.

"What kind of function?" I asked, the nerves form earlier suddenly returning.

"The kind where you bring pretty dates," he said, sparing me a quick glance. "But don't worry. I don't want to be there any more than you, and that's why we're only staying for ten minutes. I have other plans for us," he said, and my shoulders dropped in relief.

His compliment stuck with me. Pretty dates. I hid my smile, looking away from him to gaze at the passing buildings. Why'd such a simple sentence make me feel that way?

"That doesn't answer my question," I said, fiddling with the hem of my dress to keep myself busy. My thighs were bare, exposing the tattoo on my skin. I wasn't in the mood for a bra and my piercings poked through the material.

If Valerio was taking me to a sophisticated function—he should've fucking told me.

"You have nothing to worry about," he assured me, turning into a street. How did he manage to look that good while doing something as normal as driving? Valerio seemed comfortable, resting his hand on the steering wheel and using the same hand to paddle shift every now and then.

He needs to teach me how to do that just because it looks cool.

"I'm more worried about you taking me somewhere quiet and dark to murder me," I said, somewhat joking but not entirely.

Valerio chuckled, "If I'm taking you somewhere quiet and dark, it's not to murder you."

The innuendo didn't go unnoticed. I wanted him to do that, and for a second time that evening, I could feel my self-control starting to lack. I urged myself to stop being a horny little bitch, but how could I control my urges when Valerio looked the way he did? Smelled the way he did? Talked the way he did?

What the fuck was wrong with me?

I closed my mouth, choosing not to say anything because I was afraid I'd tell him to fuck me right there.

"I'm not going to murder you, if that's what you're thinking," he said, smiling softly as he kept his eyes on the road.

"Do you swear?" I asked.

His grin widened, showing me the dimple in his cheek "Yes, I swear."

I sunk in the seat. "Fine."

The rest of the ride was quiet, until we arrived at a building and I realised that this was not a regular function.

"Fuck, no. Valerio, take me home right now—" I said, keeping my seatbelt on and not moving once he stopped the car.

I didn't know how to talk to a bunch of strangers. I barely knew how to talk to my own friends.