Chapter 8

Mishti Bose

"Aise kaise decision le sakte hai yaar? Tujhse discuss bhi nahi kiya!" I shouted at Kuhu. She and Kunal were sitting silently gazing at the ground. And I was standing like a school teacher who was scolding them for late submission of homework. I don't know what else to do. Maa and Baba left to home with Dadi. They didn't wanted to witness any more drama.

Niha and I stayed back.
"Let her process it first. Chehra dekh didi ka." She said.
"Tu beech me baat mat kar." I warned Niharika.
"Chamaila! Vaat lag gayi yaar." Maanav exclaimed.
"Kya karu is ladki ka?" I groaned in frustration.

"Uncle aunty kaha hai?" She asked after 10 minutes of drilling her. And this was her first response.
"Jahannum. Jaoge?" I questioned.
"Calm down. Let them discuss. Tumhari shaadi nahi hai." Abir said. This dude!
"Sorry I don't remember asking for your opinion." I snapped back.

"Then you should shut your mouth. Tumhare bakwas sunne ke liye koi ready nahi hai." He retorted.
"Hey! You better behave. Meri behen se aise koi nahi baat karega." Niha growled. She lost her cool. Shit!
"Who are you to-"
"Anna, Amma's call." The young version of Abir came towards us and handed a phone.

"You're Pranav right?" I asked.
"And I guess aap hai wo chai lady. Nice to meet you." He smiled. Chivalry and decentness is not dead. Finally.
"Mishti Bose." I smiled back.
"Hogaya introduction? Tum ghar leke jao usko. Uncle, aunty and dadi hai waha." Abir informed.

"Go Niha. I'll come later." I told her as she still glared at him.
"And you've a point. Ye bakwas karti hai par it's a good bakwas. Don't use that tone again." She said and forwarded her hand. This girl! Abir smirked and shook her hand.
"Sure bro." He smiled.
"Good." She sighed and went with Pranav.

"Save it." I gritted as Abir was about to comment.
"Ye silent torture aur kitna der chalega? Kunal, talk to your parents." He said putting a hand on his shoulder.
"Kya baat karu? Public announcement kardiya unhone. Ab hum mana karenge to reputation, money, status sab kharab hojayega." He said.

"Wo tumhara problem hai? Seriously money, fame, reputation phir se laa sakte ho tum. Par shaadi zindagi me ek hi baar hota hai. Use your god damn brain." I snapped. This guy has totally lost it.
"Par ye sahi to keh raha hai na Mishti. Maa will never tolerate disrespect you know that. I've got enough proofs." Kuhu sighed.

"Yeah proofs! Jisko tumhe unke against use karna chahiye." I scoffed.
"To tum dono kya karne wale ho? Apne parents ke pressure me aake ek doosre ki zindagi barbaad karoge?" Maanav asked the genuine question.
"Pata nahi yaar." Kuhu groaned again.
"Pata nahi ka kya matlab hai?" Abir chuckled.

"Kuhu, jab tak mujhe yaad hai, you wanted to be a surgeon. Tumhe MD karna tha, Australia me. You dreamt of big things. Shaadi koi gudda guddi ka khel nahi hai. You can't just jump into it. Ab batao. Will you settle for a commitment something like marriage so soon?" I asked her.
She looked at me like a lost puppy.

"The same is for you Kunal. You wanted to be on Forbes man. Tumhe har cheez me success chahiye. And you're hell bent on achieving greater things. Kabhi kisi ke pressure me aake tumne decision nahi liya hai. And I hope you won't now too. It's all in your hands now. Both of you, talk. And think." Abir lectured. I kept gawking at him.

"Tum kya ghoor rahi ho? Chalo. Maanav, you too." He said as I kept a bad face. Couldn't he be nice for one second! Arrogant kahi ka. Nevertheless, me and Maanav followed him. We were nearing Kuhu and Kunal's parents.

"Mrs.Singh, aapne kaha tha ki Kuhu ke taraf se haa hai. Ab aur kya discuss karna chahte hai?" Kunal's mother asked. I felt like slapping Sahana Singh. She didn't deserve a daughter like Kuhu. All the trauma she gave to her daughter, the manipulations she threw upon Kuhu wasn't enough for her.