Chapter 41

3 years later

United Kingdom.

University College Hospital, Euston Road, London.

Mishti Bose

"Are you alright, Harper?" I questioned the blonde beside me, as we are walking towards the OT for another operation.
"Is it evident? Thought I was covering it up." I chuckled and shook my head.
"Why aren't you nervous, you ass!" She hissed at me.
"It's not my first op, doctor. Oh sorry! I forgot I'm your senior by a year." I chuckled again after opening the OT's door.
"All ready?" I asked the team of nurses and other junior surgeons waiting for me.
"Yes, doc." Sasha informed.

"Did you prepare the patient?" Enquiring them, I put on my surgical apron and mask. Nobody replied when I turned back to face them. Proceeding to glare at Sasha, I neared the patient's bed, holding his hand. Harper kept observing us carefully.
"Hello, Robert. We meet again." I smiled at the 67 year old man, lying on the surgery bed, anxious.
"Hello." Came his meek reply.
"I see you're tensed about this. But please do not fret. We are here to take care of you. Trust our work and relax. Your tumor is finally going to get scared of the holes we dig in your skull, and vanish! Poof! Just like that." We laughed as I made the joke.
"Yep. Going to remember that. Thanks doc." He smiled.

"The anaesthetic we are going to give you is a slight dose, since we want you awake during this procedure. You will be asked questions, so make sure you atleast score an A in this exam." The room chuckled again.
"Roger that." Robert grinned.
"I'm going to explain again. We are going to perform a Parietal Craniotomy surgery, to remove the tumor formed in the upper back of your brain. We'll dig into your skull, remove the piece, put the tumor cells to sleep and bid them bye. Then we'll attach the bone, back to it's place. While we're getting rid of the tumor, I'll be asking about your condition, and check your neuro responses, like basic blinking, finger lifting and other stuff. Then you'll be shifted to ICU, where your darling wife Kenny will be waiting for you." I finished the explanation.

"Alright. Let her know that she's allowed to see me only if she brings candies for all of you." He winked at me.
"Oh, double roger that!" Harper fist bumped him and we shook our head. Doctor Emily, Joe and Fahad get ready too, as we prepare the equipment table. Me and Joe would be performing the surgery, as senior doctors while Emily will be monitoring us, help us if we need anything. The rest 2 juniors, Fahad and Harper and 2 other nurses would be assisting us.
"All of you, please take down as much vague points as you can. It'll help in your practicals if you draw diagrams too." I suggested.

After sending a prayer to durga maa and Lord krishna, we began the operation.

4 hours later

I sat on the bench in front of the hospital, smoking. I know I know, an insatiable habit for a doctor. I couldn't handle the stress without this little life killer. But I had sworn to nobody that I'd mend my ways. So from tomorrow I would.
"Aap yaha?" A familiar voice asked. I turned to see Fahad standing with a smile.
"Hello to you too! Jab bhi stress zyada hota hai to, idhar relax karne ke liye aati hu." I said and he sat beside me.
"Want one?" I forwarded a cigar as he shook his head.
"Haram hai." Fahad simply said.
"Ah! A staunch believer." I remarked.

"Kaise handle kiya aapne? India se yaha, wo bhi masters ke liye migrate hona, it's not easy. And you gained a reputation too." I laughed at that.
"Tareef kar rahe hai ya-"
"Bilkul! Koi second thoughts mat rakhiye ga." His smile made me grin too.
"Mushkil tha, but time really lets you adapt. Bas aapko khud pe aur, apne allah pe bharosa rakhna chahiye. And is logic ko exam me use mat karna. Do saal ka masters phir chaar saal karna padega." Fahad laughed out loudly.