Chapter 12

Abir Bharadwaj

I stood for another minute facing the damn door. She pushed me out. I wanted to help and this is what I get! Pranav was waiting in the car. I sighed and was about to walk out when I heard a small creak from the door. There she was! Peaking out like a kid.

"Kya?" I asked irritated.
"Only if you agree not to talk about their pasts, I'm in." She said.
"Atleast a part of their past?" I bargained. She whined.
"Ye utna aasaan nahi hai jitna tum samajhte ho." She argued.
"Kyu aasaan nahi hai?" I asked.

"Because mujhe tumpar bharosa nahi hai." Mishti whisper screamed. I looked at her in disbelief. She has trust issues? Actually, she's right in her place. Who can trust an arrogant stranger aka reunited childhood trouble-maker so fast!
"Ofcourse. Mai bhi nahi." I stated.
"Excuse me?" She narrowed her eyes.

"Hello! Tumne bhi abhi tak koi bharosemand kaam nahi kiya hai." I said. She rolled her eyes and scoffed.
"Okay. Let's reach a midground. Hum sirf unke parents par focus karenge. Only required information will be passed out." I sighed.
"But Kuhu aur Kunal ko iske baare me kuch nahi pata hona chahiye." She said.

"Deal?" I asked forwarding my hand. She squinted her eyes but broke into a small chuckle.
"Deal." She shook my hand.
"Pranav! Hey." She whispered as he practically ran outside to greet her.
"This is for you." She smiled as she handed a bag. I was about to snatch it but Pranav was faster than me.

"Shondesh!" He screamed.
"Challenge won. Mujhe haraana mushkil hi nahi naamumkin hai." She scoffed.
"Don't underestimate me Ms.Bose." I said.
"Doctor Bose for you." She glared at me angrily as Pranav still kept hogging the sweet.

"Whatever." I said and we went towards my car. But my tyres were flat! I turned back as she was trying to contain her laughter.
"When did you even do it?" I exasperated.

"Well, jagga jaasoos, I've connections. That's why you have to be polite with others. Khaaskar apne padosiyon ke saath. See you later, alligator." She sang and ran inside.
"Ab mai ghar kaise jaun?" I screamed.
"Chalke." She shouted and shut the door before apologising to Pranav.

Fuck my life!

I'm allowed to swear this time --

Mishti Bose

The next minute the landline rang and when I was about to receive it got cut. Strange. I sighed and moved up the stairs but I heard some whispers from Maa and Baba's room. So I tiptoed my way towards them.
"Vijay! They defenitely noticed. Apani jaanen parobarti ki habe. Wahi jo Varun ke saath hua tha." Maa whispered.
(Tum jaante ho aage kya hoga.)

"Par Nitya, it doesn't has to end like that. Is baar hum unke activities ko predict kar sakte hai. Just give me a chance." Baba urged.
"Nahi Vijay. Marne se pehle Varun ne bhi yahi kaha tha. Dekha na uske saath kya hua?" I knew that Maa was going to end up crying because of the her tone. I went inside their room not able to eavesdrop anymore.

"Apanera dujan ki kotha bolche?" I questioned.
"Mishti! Soye nahi abhi tak?" Baba asked concerned.
"Baba, Maa, I trust you both with my life. But cut the crap! Ho kya raha hai?" I questioned again, this time loudly.
"Mishti, keep your calm." Maa instructed.
"Theekache. Ekhon amake bol?" I pleaded.
(Kiske baare me baat kar rahe ho tum dono?)
(Theek hai. Ab to batao?)

Maa and Baba just sighed.
"Tumhe yaad hai hum Kolkata me Bharadwaj family ke saath rehte the?" Maa asked.
"Haa. Bits and pieces." I said and sat down.
"We were not the only family connected. Singhs and Vardhans bhi the humare saath." Baba said. Okay...

"Humara ek organisation tha named PRIDE. It focused on helping people. But Rishi Vardhan was not satisfied with that." Baba continued.
"You know Kuhu's mother right?" Maa questioned as I nodded.
"She and Sindhu, well they trafficked children. And Varun opposed this." Baba said.