Chapter Thirteen

"I've been praying for you."

Diego smiled tightly and nodded.

"Don't stop."

River pressed his lips together at Diego's grave tone.

It wasn't a pity party. River knew that.

He was genuinely upset. Heartbroken. Ashamed.

He wanted to make things right, and River wanted the same for him.

"Part of me is glad she hasn't been back. The rest of me is devastated. I want to talk to her and make things right. I don't want her to see the old Diego when she sees me. I can't change time, but I can love her right."

Diego had been haunted by his past when he locked eyes with Adrian.

Everything he'd done in the past was forgiven.

But with Adrian, he wasn't sure.

Everything was left undone.

And seeing her reminded him of how disgraceful he was to her, to everyone.

"You've told me countless times that God's will is always done. You're living for Him now, He will rectify what needs to be in His way. I know it isn't easy, but trust that if Adrian is meant to be in your life, she will be."

Diego cleared his throat and ran his fingers through his hair. "You know how I was, Riv. But how I hurt her," He hated himself for what he did to Adrian.

She was precious and loving to him.

"She doesn't hate you for it. The way she looked at you, I think she was shocked more than anything." River explained, hoping to help.

He'd been praying for Diego and Adrian since he found out what happened.

It wasn't nice, pretty, or calm.

But he knew that God redeemed all when they came to Him.

Diego would be forgiven, and Adrian would be healed from the hurt he caused.

"Yeah," Diego murmured. "How's it going with you and Claudia? I don't want to talk about my mess,"

Claudia.

Claudia.

Beautiful, sweet, adorable, and kind.

Claudia.

"She's a precious woman. I saw her at the Farmer's Market, and we went to lunch. She'll be teaching me sign language, I want to understand her without causing her discomfort. The typing isn't as easy as it seems,"

River didn't have trouble opening up and talking out his issues.

He realized after the accident that honesty would help him overcome his newfound disability and how he handled it.

It was something he prized.

He wasn't tense and paranoid like before the accident. His life was a secret. He didn't like anyone knowing more than his name.

It was different now.

"She's got the prettiest eyes and smile. I can tell she's got joy, but she isn't always happy. Something keeps her from maintaining happiness, something locked away," The truth lay within her eyes.

He wasn't going to press or try to figure her out. Everyone had something they tucked away. God knew best how to work out the truth and do the healing.

River could only pray.

"You really like her." It wasn't a question but a statement. "I like hearing you talk about her. She intrigues you," Diego was proud of River, as always.