Jyugo

~15~

"H-how dare you say that?" gulat kong tanong sa kanya habang I was surprised by the sudden accusing tone that Paolo has on his words. Ako? Selfish? Kelan ako naging selfish? I haven't taken anything from anybody. Hindi naman ako nanglamang ng ibang tao ah! I don't even depend on anyone. How can I be selfish?!

"Ayokong makialam sa problema n'yong magkapatid pero somehow gusto kitang bigyan ng clue para naman ma-solve niyo ito. Ang manhid mo rin kasi minsan. Regalo ko na rin to para kay Kuya Kei," said Paolo, having a gentle smile on his face but I won't buy it.

"Regalo kay Kuya Kei? Does he have anything to do with this?" tumaas ang kilay ko. I settled the glass of champagne on the table and crossed my arms against my chest.

"Oo. May malaki s'yang parte dito. Tanungin mo nalang s'ya kapag may oras kayong mag-usap. I know you're wise enough to be able to settle this."

So there's a problem and I failed notice it. Paanong hindi ko ito napansin? I thought I could perceive everything. I thought I am well-aware of what's happening around me and of all people; this issue came from Kuya Kei. Paanong hindi ko napansin na may issue na pala si Kuya Kei towards me? I have to settle things out as soon as possible.

After the party, I went to Kuya Kei's room, hoping that he's still not in the mood to sleep.

"Kuya? Are you going to sleep already?" tanong ko sa microphone thing na nakainstall sa gilid ng door n'ya. Yung parang sa mga condo. Basta yun.

"Ikaw pala, Sand. Come in. Door's open."

I gently pushed the door and entered his room. I find Kuya Kei in front of his imac. Nagfefacebook s'ya. "Replying to birthday greetings?" I sat on his bed at hinarap s'ya.

"Yeah. Sandali nalang to. Napadalaw ka, Sand? What's up? Enjoyed the party?"

Hindi ako umimik agad. I evaded my eyes. "Kuya, can we talk?"

It's a question never heard before that's why Kuya Kei was surprised upon hearing it.

"Of course. Bakit, Sand?" he moved into the bed and sat next to me. "Is there a problem?"

Tiningnan ko s'ya sa mata, trying to pry into his soul. "Is there, Kuya?"

His mouth parted in surprise. Mukhang hindi s'ya makapagsalita. With his expression, he looked like as if he was having some internal debate.

"Has Paolo told you?" he said in the end. A small curve on the lips was all that's left of his smile earlier.

"No more than just hints. Spill, Kuya."

He sighed and fell on the bed. He placed his hands below his head, making them like pillows. Nakatingin lang s'ya sa ceiling. "Batang yun talaga," he made a pained chuckle. "Sabi wag seryosohin ang mga pinagsasabi ko kapag lasing ako."

"Teka. You two drink together? Since when did you two become that close?"

"Since noong niligtas ka n'ya. Sand, remember I told you about you being too independent? Matagal na yun."

"Yes, I do remember, Kuya." Matagal na yun pero naaalala ko pa rin. He said that several times.

"And I told you that you can depend on me," he added. Tumango lang ako bilang sagot. "Well, I am pretty serious about that." Hindi ako nagsalita at hinayaan nalang s'ya. "I want you to somehow depend on me. Ask for help when you're in sticky situations. I want you to need me." Napatingin ako sa kanya but his eyes were locked on the ceiling. "You know a lot. You can do a lot. You're very independent. Basically, you don't need anybody and that somehow saddens me."