Action/Sci-Fi Winners

Hi all, this is Devian, before I proceed to announce the winners of this genre, we are currently trying to get some of the judges to submit their scores and liaise in agreeing with the top three so that there is a match in terms of the judging style. This move will probably take more work because judges of each half of one genre, have to review the other half of the participants, in order for us to agree and discuss scores. Hence, the long wait. So please stay patient with us, and I will be doing what I can to quicken the process.

That said, I am also a judge for several genres to fill in the gaps for those who left suddenly, so please be more patient with me (:

Next, we will now announce the winners of this genre, and this was the first one because I'm the judge and my co-judge was really helpful and responsive, which helped me to complete the judging in the fastest time possible. Thank you RichardPDX !

First Place --
Zodiac Legends: The Green Dragon by Madame_LaBelle

TOTAL: 87/100
Cover - 8/10
Title and Blurb - 7/10
Plot - 25/30
Flow - 9/10
Character Development - 15/15
Anticipation - 8/10
Enjoyment - 10/10
Language - 5/5

Comments from devianmisfit:
Your cover is great, but the title size seems to be too small. For your blurb, it's short and succinct, but I believe if you give some details on the problems the protagonist will face will give readers a better indication of what the plot is about and draw us in to read. But as I move on to your story, I can really say I fell in love with the details and the characters you've somehow made alive and relatable. The pacing is slow-burn, which I believe is great, but what I appreciated the most were the backstory and the analogies! Even though it may feel a little slow, I believe all these details were necessary for us readers to develop ample understanding and connection with your protags. What I enjoyed most about your book was the ability of your writing to make me feel totally immersed in a make-believe world you've created with just words.

Comments from RichardPDX:
My problem with the plot was the lack of an Initiating Incident. The story had 3 to choose from and picked none. Quitting a successful college run for love could have been the start (whether as sci-fi or as mainstream drama), and the Prologue's prophetic dream could have been the story's start if it occurred in the main flow and was reenforced in the actual chapters (I like this option because it would put sci-fi somewhere in the first five chapters), or, thirdly, the death of the grandfather and her decision to follow to China could have initiated the story. Also, the flow slowed for me in Chapter 3 which seemed to be selling a belief in equality rather than revealing it through the plot. Terrific writing and characters carried me through, but the book could be even stronger.

🍬☁️

Second Place --
Rhodoreef by SuVida777

TOTAL: 77/100
Cover - 10/10
Title and Blurb - 8/10
Plot - 24/30
Flow - 7/10
Character Development - 9/15
Anticipation - 6/10
Enjoyment - 8/10
Language - 5/5

Comments from devianmisfit:
I love your cover and I, especially how you've drawn it, so it's definitely original. Most importantly, the title and vibe are all unique. In terms of your blurb, I like that it's quirky, but one thing to note is that there isn't a very strong hook that compels readers to read. E.g. the problem/challenge. In terms of the descriptions, they were great! But in terms of your story, I believe there is much room to add a dollop of suspense and excitement, especially in chapter 4. There are a lot of conversations between Dea and Hima, and I think overall it is good to show the planning, but I think there is still a great deal left in terms of building the setting and stage. There are several topics that I think are important to address such as why are interactions with humans forbidden? How do these top-notch military things run? And how did Dea and Hima manage to convince Oomie? These are not mentioned or breezed over in the conversation, and one more thing! I think the hardest challenge of a writer is to be able to convey complicated techy details to readers in a digestible format– and yes you've managed to keep it lighthearted and simple but you're quite missing out on the more technical details which I was hoping to catch a glimpse when I read your book.

Comments from RichardPDX:
Rhodoreef has an Initiating Incident in Chapter 2 (Dea chooses to rescue the human) and a First Turning Point in Chapter 4 (Dea chooses to go to the human city, Serendiva) Each chapter builds on those choices. Believability suffers a bit by Oomie's convenient high connections and by her defeat of Dad's security measures. Perhaps a less complex way of locating the Sea Witch hangout. I enjoyed the fun you had with undersea terminology and your nice descriptive language. Your writing flowed down a path that didn't seem too derivative of the Little Mermaid. Nice.

🍬☁️

Third Place --
Crescent by Marie_Izabelle

TOTAL: 67.5/100
Cover - 9/10
Title and Blurb - 4/10
Plot - 20/30
Flow - 4/10
Character Development - 12/15
Anticipation - 6.5/10
Enjoyment - 7/10
Language - 5/5

Comments from devianmisfit:
I really love your cover! Your title and blurb don't really have any relevance, or I can't seem to connect the two, other than your protagonist's name– which brings me to say that your blurb needs much more work because it's way too short. I rather you expand on some of the contexts and let your readers know the connection of your protagonist's name, or where and what is Karth. Your plot on the other hand starts off with a solid sci-fi setting, and immediately your readers were already gripped by the protagonist's kidnap. As the story unfolds, there were many interesting and key developments. However, when it comes to the world-building and the terms mentioned in your book such as "Thrides-3" or "R-10", it requires much more description other than the general picture. When it comes to the logical flow of your story, however, it's where I am struggling the most, because some things just don't add up. For example, the part where they handled Cres roughly, to the fact that they used weapons to threaten her when she was someone they wanted to protect. In the first place, if they had just told her how they were related to Jexa, nothing of this sort would have happened. Which made the development very anti-climatic and drew out a very big "huh" from me. I had expected they would make their intentions clear from the moment she revealed her name. The other thing that doesn't make sense was them choosing to sell her off for a bounty that you didn't exactly mention, knowing full well they have familial connections with Cres, and then the plot proceeded with them deciding to break her out, which they did, but executed too easily. If you had made explanations prior, such as highlighting their need for money, or that they were actually debating internally on protecting Cres or selling Cres, then it would have all made sense. "You had a massive bounty on your head and I took it because that's who I am" doesn't explain anything. Other than these, the book was an enjoyable read because the characters were really well crafted, along with the plot development. It is definitely action-packed.

Comments from RichardPDX:
In your plot, Cres needs to make a Story Initiating Choice. Past choices (escaping her planet and her past slavery don't count for why you start your story where you do, but in Chapter 1 Buck captures her (his choice), and in Chapter 2, Reyna chooses to free her (neither of them Cres's choices.) Also, poison is not a sympathetic weapon for the main character to use. Even in Chapter 5 at the First Turning Point, Mother Celeste says, "Do you accept?" and Cres telling the crew "The galaxy is in danger." isn't exactly a "Yes." Nice characters, but Cres's relationships with them need to evolve and not yo-yo (escape-attack-escape-attack-escape) Many places (planets) and creatures are named without being explained or having their relationship to the story suggested. How could Cres's twin Jexa be Cato's wife and the R-10 team be the ones to find Cres in the immensity of the universe when they don't seem to know about her tracking bracelet. I liked your characters and, on language, there were only a few proofreading and word choice errors.

🍬☁️

Congratulations to the top three. That said, I'm contemplating whether to post the other participants' scores below here or to PM you guys because it feels horrible to get a tag and then open the chapter up and realize otherwise. For those who are comfortable with this notion let me know, or if you guys prefer for us to PM your score cards and judge's comments (:

For prizes, please head to "Prizes & How To Claim Them" chapter for more details. If you spot any mistakes with the counting, tag us and let us know.

___
TSG Awards May 2022