Romance Winners

I know some of you may not wish to be tagged here but still, I would like to thank the two judges username_taken15 and TVD_Lover1999 for their time in judging the Romance participants!

First Place —
Is It True Love? by angeldawn09

TOTAL: 89/100
Cover - 6/10
Title & blurb - 8/10
Flow - 10/10
Character development - 15/15
Anticipate - 9/10
Enjoyment - 8/10
Language - 3/5
Plot - 30/30

Comments by username_taken15:
Cover — The picture and the words are blurry, and the different fonts makes it hard to read the title.

Title & blurb The title does not draw me in, but it does stay true to the story and the blurb. The blurb nicely sums up what is happening within the story.

Flow The story is very nicely paced. At first, it does seem as though a lot has happened within the first five chapters, but when the span of those chapters are looked at with the timeline of the story it perfectly matches. Readers come in as the deal is made with only days before he meets his "wife" and the impatient main character will attempt to get his answers quickly as bumps that pertain to the newly ended war happen in the road.

Character development It's great that I can imagine the characters and the scenes they are in. It feels as if I actually know them because of the closeness to the narrator.

Anticipate When it comes to the plan to disguise the prince to see if Kana will fall in love with him and him hating his fiancé, I expected that much, but I didn't expect spies to be hidden throughout the town for the opposing kingdom. Definitely a nice touch!

Enjoyment I like the story, but the chapters do feel long. It feels as though so much happens and the chapter is building toward a cliffhanger, but then it just keeps going.

Language The grammar and word choices are flawless. I will say that every once in a while dialogue/action tags do go missing making some scenes hard to follow. A good example is the ball. There wasn't really much trace of who was saying what, the readers just had to know the characters, follow the scene until a hint was given, and then back read with the correct person saying it. It's the most confusing when the narrator explains something as someone is speaking in a conversation and when the person returns to speaking, there is no tag.

Plot The plot definitely stays true to the characters' ages and is interesting to read.

____
🍬☁️

Second Place —
The Light In The Dark by KatyEnvee

TOTAL: 83/100
Cover - 7/10
Title & blurb - 8/10
Flow - 6/10
Character Development - 15/15
Anticipation- 10/10
Enjoyment - 7/10
Language - 5/5
Plot - 25/30

Comments by username_taken15:
Cover — The cover is nice, but it's not attention grabbing

Title & blurb The blurb is good. The title is nice, but I wouldn't say its original

Flow The flow is okay. I feel as though it could progress more with less of the side story telling or if it was better fitted. For example, moving from chapter 1 to chapter 2, you wonder if you're still reading the same book because the main character begins to explain her life. This does tie back to the story but by that time, we're in a new place with no idea what happened to the last setting until later. The life explanation would've fit better after she exits the house when her panic attack begins. It's okay to leave the readers in a bit of mystery and make them feel the anxiety and uneasiness the main character felt when she was being asked so many questions. At some points of the story, the side story telling fit, but went on for too long. For example, chapter five is all about the relationship between the sisters. We get some movement from the conversation outside to inside and get to see a slight connection between the main character and the new ones introduced moving from chapter four to five. The area where it feels a bit dragged is when the main character rants about how the sister is toward her and how much the relationship changed. Throughout that, there are areas that could've been shown to readers which creates that feeling. Also, the when that section is over, we get a quick look at the dad and then the chapter ends. It makes it a bit confusing that the cousin that doesn't like her had a longer section than the father considering she has barely seen the cousin.

Character Development We know the characters and most of their appearances and attitudes to admit that this is great characterization.

Anticipate I was able to anticipate some of the story, but not all of it.

Enjoyment For the most part, I enjoyed this story.

Language I couldn't find any mistakes.

Plot The plot is a tad cliché, but it's a great read

_____
🍬☁️

Third Place —
Boundless by CoffeeAndSilverInk

TOTAL - 63/100
Cover - 9/10
Title & blurb - 6/10
Flow - 6/10
Character development - 12/15
Anticipate - 5/5
Enjoyment - 6/10
Language - 4/5
Plot - 15/30

Comments by username_taken15:
CoverThe cover is nice, but it doesn't feel original.

Title & blurb Both the title and blurb didn't draw me to it at all. It all felt a bit cliche

Flow In the story, it says that Andrew had moved to a new country and immediately learned the language, but none of that was ever explained throughout the story. We just have to remember that they aren't speaking English and in a country that doesn't speak English. The connections between the characters aren't shown much so it all feels rushed. The narrator describes the relationships between all the characters but it feels forced to read the description and not see it much.

Character development For the characters, we know what some of them look like but we don't know the ages of anyone. We're told that they're in university which could possibly mean college but in other places university refers to high school, it's mentioned that they're under the age of twenty-one, and the way they act about relationships seems a little immature. So, it's assumed that they range from sixteen or seventeen to twenty. A clarification on this range would be appreciated. When it comes to scenes and a character is added to it, there's no introduction of any sort. For example, in "1.3" when they are at the club we are told there are three boys there. The boys are described by height and hair but, since this is our first time "seeing" them, it's hard to guess who is who. Two of the boys get introduced by the mysterious third one. Later in the chapter we find out that the third boy is Miguel, but not because he was introduced but because the narrator randomly said so.

Anticipate I expected Andrew to "like" Alice but to want Nicole. What I didn't expect was for him to actually date Alice. Once they were together though, I knew Alice was going to be very clingy and insecure about the relationship because it's her first one. The rest didn't seem too shocking.

Enjoyment I enjoyed the book in a way. It wasn't horrible but it didn't keep me too hooked either.

Language There are barely any mistakes grammar wise, just small ones like writing her instead of him and this instead of the. There were a few parts that were missing commas and times when tenses switched, especially when a character was telling a story, but it wasn't huge that it ruined the book. Doing a quick edit or putting the chapters into an editor will remove the small errors.

Plot The plot isn't bad, but it is a bit cliche.

——
🍬☁️

Congratulations to the winners 🥳🥳🥳 PM us for your score cards and judge's comments (:

For prizes, please head to "Prizes & How To Claim Them" chapter for more details. If you spot any mistakes with the counting, tag us and let us know.

___
TSG Awards May 2022