-Chapter 19-

-Naruto's POV-

My heart stopped beating as I stared at the corpse of one of the most important people that raised me. His white hair was stained from the blood, and I couldn't stop my eyes from watering. I ran over to his side and shook him, hoping for a response.

"Pervy-sage? Please wake up!" I sobbed, completely distraught. 

His body was stone cold, his eyes widened. His clothes that we gave him soiled in blood. His stomach had a deep gash. His body was severely bruised, and many bones were broken. It was like he dropped from the top of a building. It was nauseating to look at. I tried to feel for a pulse, there was nothing. I tried to revive him to no avail. I kept trying and trying but it just didn't work.

Sasuke ran to my side after hearing my cries.

"Naruto, don't look." He said, putting my head to his chest and rubbing my back soothingly.

"Sasuke, we just got him back. We just got him back and he's gone!" I wailed in his arms.

He stayed silent and kept soothing me until I composed myself. I sat on the ground behind Jiraiya as Sasuke closed his eyes to give him a little respect in his passing.

"Thank you for that Sasuke. You don't know how much that means to me." I said softly.

"Of course. I'll go try to find Sakura if you want to stay here for a moment." He recommended.

"No, it's okay. Let's go." I respectfully decline.

"Are you sure?" He asks with worry.

"Yes. You have sent the signal for the rest of the knights to come, right?" I ask.

He nods. I look down at Jiraiya once more.

"Goodbye, Pervy-sage. I'll forever live with all the great memories we had." I said before running off to Sasuke.

---~o_o~---

We ran around the facility looking for Sakura. It seemed like the place was on its last leg. After searching all the rooms with no results, Sasuke sprouted an idea.

"I think I know where they are hiding Sakura." Sasuke said, turning his head towards me. "Take my hand because it might be very dangerous now.

I gently held Sasuke's hand and we ran off towards a wall in the main room of the building. Sasuke's hand gave me the sense of security that I needed. A fought a blush that threatened to appear on my face.

The wall broke open and we ran down as fast as we could into this secret passage. The staircase we ran down broke, and rubble now blocked our path. I was too worried about finding Sakura and the one who did this to Jiraiya to care about an escape plan.

In the distant echoes of the tunnel, I heard a voice pierce through the white noise.

"Sasuke, I think I hear Sakura on the right side. I will go check it out, just try to find the ones who did this. I'll be as fast as I can." I say, about to run off into the hall.

Sasuke grabs my waist and pulls me close. My back is up against him, and he brings his head closer to my ear.

"You aren't going without me. It could be a trap for all we know. We're going together, Naruto." He speaks lowly.

My face is super red as I turn, facing him.

"Okay, I get it. You didn't have to grab me by my waist. My hand would've been just fine." I huff.

"It was the only way; I know you would've run right off if I didn't do something extreme." He replied.

"You really didn't have to do all that." I sigh.