Chapter 28// Habitual

12k! Thank you!

I think this story might be almost finished though hehe

Just like when I broke up the fight with him and Logan not so long ago, Luke jumps in between his father and me.

"Dad. Calm down," he says cautiously, moving in front of me so I stay half hidden.

"Where were you, Luke?" His father asks angrily. "You were out for hours, were you planning on leaving me, too?"

"No, dad. I'm not leaving you." Luke says, and stares him straight in the eyes.

Mr. Hemmings bursts into a gurgling, unpleasant laughter. "You and your mother," he says. "Always full of bullshit."

Luke doesn't reply. Instead, he grabs my arm, turning towards the direction of the door. It's like an elaborate dance move, like he's taunting a bull. He sways back and forth and his father stares at him wherever he goes, like a cat watching a mouse. Clearly drunk and frustrated, there's a point where his father cannot hold Luke's gaze any more. His eyes leave the blonde's face for a mere second, and Luke darts past him, yanking me along. We race down the steps and nearly stumble out the front door, while Luke's father seethes behind us in drunken anger.

"Go. Go!" Luke hisses through his teeth, and the two of us zero in on his car. He expertly slides into the driver's seat and I to the passenger's seat. He begins to drive, stepping on the pedal with force.

Soon, we've left the area completely and some of the tenstion has disappeared the further we get away from the house. I can feel the ignorance and anger coming off Luke in waves.

He stops at a red light, and only then, he looks at me, bright red and fuming. "What the hell were you thinking?" He demands.

"I was just..."

"There's a reason why I don't mention my father," he replies.

I look down at my feet, ashamed. "But he was so nice to me last time..."

"He probably wasn't drunk. Can't you tell by now?" Luke asks, the frustration clear in his voice.

"I-I..."

"What did he do to you?" He interrupts.

"Nothing," I say, tears streaming down my face.

Nothing compared to what he does to you.

"Good. Because we need to have a talk."

"I need to talk to you, too," I sniff. "But not now. Tomorrow? At Sidrabene?"

"Okay."

The green light is back on, and Luke takes the turn into my street. 

"Come home with me," I blurt, and he looks at me strangely.

I won't like talking to him, for sure, but for now, with his dad in that situation, Luke needs to sleep somewhere else.

"Are you sure?" Luke asks, his eyes a little less angry.

"Yeah."

...

"Luke! Luke! Luke!" Cam yells, attacking him in a koala hug as soon as we enter the house.

Luke's foul mood suddenly dissipates and he hugs my brother right back. "How you been, little man?" He asks.

"Good. I'm glad you're hanging out with Jade again," Cam says, but doesn't look to us for a reaction. He pulls on his hand like a little child, dragging a confused Luke all the way to the living room. I follow closely behind.