Chapter 5// Secrets

With every ring, I grow more and more anxious. A part of me hopes that he won't pick up, but I know that won't happen. Ashton's phone is literally attached to his hip at all times.

Five rings in, Ashton picks up the call.

"Hello?" He asks.
I take a huge breath for courage and open my mouth to talk, but I'm horrified to realize that nothing comes out.

"Um...hello?" He asks again. "Jade?"

"Ashton." The name blurts out of my mouth like a bad omen.

"You're finally talking to me," Ashton says delightedly. I can tell he's smirking. Thinking he's won me back. Thinking I'm crawling back to him.

"Uh, No. I'm still not talking to you," I reply. That was a lame line. A really lame line, Jade. I clear my voice and start again.

"My brother, of all people, showed me how you're talking about me," I say, conveying as much distaste as I can. "Here's some advice. Don't mention me or Luke to anyone. Ever. Again."

"You call him Luke now? What happened to Potty Loo? Or Loo Kemmings?" Ashton bursts into laughter.

And I ignore him.
"It was never your job to announce who I am dating. And what I'm doing with Luke is none of your business."

"You're toying with him, aren't you? You want something," Ashton observes, his voice dripping with venom.
"No, scratch that. You're planning something way bigger than just that nerd. So tell me, what is it?"

I try not to make my voice shake.
I try to keep it steady.
"I don't what else to say except that I'm not."

"Fine. But eventually, I'll find out on my own. You know it as well as I do."
I feel numb, realizing that the clingy, post-breakup Ashton is gone. He is all hostility now. But I don't know why I'm so surprised, when I've already seen Ashton's dark side....the darkest, deepest side that I can't tell anyone about.

"I'll tell everyone what you did to me and those girls!" I blurt, regretting it as soon as it comes out of my mouth.

Ashton groans angrily. "You're still talking about that?! God damn it, Jade. I am your boyfriend. That's what boyfriends do."

"You were my boyfriend," I mutter under my breath.

"I swear, Jade, if you try to expose me, I will expose you and your stupid boytoy."

His words make me so angry my hands begin to shake, then in an outburst of anger I scream: "Leave me and Luke the hell alone!"

I end the call, resisting the urge to throw my phone to the ground. In an attempt to calm down, I put my head between my knees, but my breath still comes in heavy huffs.

"Um....Jade?" A voice interrupts, making me look up before the first tear has a chance to fall.

Luke is standing in the living room, carrying a bag(which I assume is the new clothes I told him to bring). I now remember that I was supposed to prep him for the party in....exactly half an hour.

"How did you get in?" I ask.

"Your mom let me in," Luke blushes. "Uh....may I ask who that was on the phone?"

"Ashton," I sigh.

"Ashton?!"

"Yeah. I don't want to talk about it. Come on," I stand up from the couch and start to pull on his hand.

"That reminds me, Jade. I don't feel comfortable with you touching me. I've known you for less than a week and you're already acting like we're friends," Luke stutters, his cheeks a bright scarlet.

"Oh, get over yourself. You're my boyfriend now, remember?" I roll my eyes. One teasing glance at Luke's speechless face lifts my mood. I drag him back to my room, rolling my eyes.