Chapter 10// Confession

"Jade!" Luke calls, pushing past the crowd. He eyes Ashton carefully, who slowly peels his hand off my mouth.

"You got a problem?" He asks, smirking at Luke.

Luke seems caught off guard by the question, and starts to mumble gibberish under his breath. Meanwhile...

Over Ashton's shoulder and across the hallway, Hailey's eyes meet mine. She watches Ashton carefully, and when his back is completely turned, she makes a run for the front door. It's clear she doesn't want to be caught.

...Not that I'd care. "Oh hey, there goes your girlfriend," I say out loud.

"What?"

Ashton's head whips around to see the last of the blond locks disappearing out the door.

"Hailey!" He growls, repeating her name a few times. I can see him finally caving in, the desperation catching in his voice.

"Not over," He mouths at me, then starts to chase after his fuck-buddy.

...

I turn to Luke, who looks almost as tired as I am of all the drama. "Let's go home," He practically begs. If this wasn't Luke we're talking about, I'd think this was another horny "I'll drive you back, but not before we make out first." Situation.

But this is Luke.
...Who insists I fasten my seat belt and worries about how dark it is outside.

"Can you still drive?" I slur, reaching into my purse to find my phone. We're running later than we expected, my mother would be expecting a call.

But what I feel inside isn't my phone.
"Bitchsuck!" I scream, pulling my hand out and examining it. My fingers are coated in a sticky, horrid fluid.

"Bitchsuck?" Luke laughs.

"Sasha took a shit in my purse!" I pull out the baby and give her a death glare.

Luke's laughing intensifies. Then he reaches over and takes the fake baby out of my hands, as if protecting it from me.

Red-faced, I wipe my hands (somewhat) with a Kleenex, and Luke doesn't stop laughing until we're halfway home.

...
When we get to my house, I vaguely remember my mother, in her cheery voice, inviting Luke to a sleepover with me. Luke acts like it's a perfectly normal thing to sleep alone with a girl he'd just begun to tolerate. Then he declines.

But he comes upstairs with me anyway, just to stay with me until I fall asleep.

"Finally," I whine, jumping on to the mattress. My nose automatically takes a huge whiff of the fresh covers and I can't help but exclaim in satisfaction: "Smells nice....like LEMONS!"

Luke raises an eyebrow. "Are you always like this when you're drunk?"

"No, I'm more of the crying-drunk," I say, rolling over on the mattress. He takes a seat on the edge of the bed, just a few feet away from me.

"What does that mean?" He asks.

"There are different types of drunk people. The laughing drunk, the horny drunk, the crazy drunk, and the crying one....that's me."

"Well, right now you seem like the crazy one." Luke chuckles. He spins around to face me, but then freezes over when he sees that I was right. Big, fat tears fall from my eyes, and I start to sob drunkenly.

Jade? Jade, why are you crying?"

And once the tears start, they don't stop. "My life sucks," I tell him.