Chapter 7// Prey

"Okay. Here's the deal," I start to ramble. "For the first half an hour, don't socialize. I'll introduce you to my best friends. Then, we get a drink, get everyone's attention, make it clear that we are dating, and invite them to your next gig."

I whip my head around to face Luke. "When is your next gig?"

"Uh...Tuesday." He bites his lip.

"That's in three days! And on a weekday!"

"Sorry, the club manager hates us. Gave us the shittiest time slot."

"You really do need me." I say with a roll of my eyes.

"I guess." He laughs nervously. "Jade....At the party, how am I supposed to act? I'm not cool, and I don't know whether I should be casual, or-"

"You clearly knew what to do at the mall," I point out in amusment, watching his cheeks burn red.

"Yeah, but that was-that was...."

"Don't worry. You'll be fine."

"But what if I mess up?" He whimpers.

"You won't."

Luke pulls up at the house, the music already pounding through thin walls. It's not like I asked for it, but he walks out first, coming around the side to open the door for me.

Ashton never did that. It's sad that a nerd I hardly know is more thoughtful than my (ex)boyfriend of two years.

No. Scratch that, Luke wouldn't pass for a nerd anymore. He is a brand new Luke Hemmings that takes his girlfriend to parties and wears skinny jeans and styles his hair. It looks good. And I'm seeing him a whole different light....like someone I'd hang out with, rather than study with.

"You coming?" Luke raises an eyebrow, leaning against the open door.

"Yeah." Regaining my self control, I let him lead me out the car and up the front steps. Luke is too shy to ring the doorbell, so I have to do it myself. The extra time makes me finally notice what's in his hand.

Sasha (the sneaky devil-child) has hitched a ride on my fake boyfriend. "Luke!" I lecture.

"What?" he asks protectively.

"You brought our baby?!"

"Well, I didn't want to leave her alone-"

I grab the doll out of his hand and shove it forcefully into my purse.

"Hey! She's-"

"A piece of plastic," I snort just as soon as the door opens and reveals the world of the typical teenager's life. Luke seems appalled, his eyes almost popping out of his eyes as he scans the crowd, the drinks, and horny couples.

"Jade, you're late," Kiera blurts in my face, tapping her heels against the polished floor. She seems to notice the boy beside me a few seconds after.

"Who's this?" She asks, eyeing Luke.

"L-Luke," he stutters.

"Loo Kemmings?! No. Way." Kiera grabs Luke's shoulders and stares him down from head to toe. He looks so uncomfortable that his entire body stiffens(more than when I touch him, anyway).

"Best makeover so far, Jade," She compliments, staring down the plaid-shirt-and-jeans combo, and his stylized, hair-sprayed quiff. Luke wiggles around uncomfortably, like a frog under a microscope. He starts to fiddle with the glasses in his back pocket.

"I know, right?" I say to Kiera.

"But why is he here?"

"Because... we're dating."

Kiera's eyes grow huge, and she's about to say something when Brooke comes running out of the crowd of people. "Jade, Ashton's here," she says, bending over to catch her breath. "Says he's looking for you, and it doesn't seem good."

"Shit," Kiera swears. "Jade, hide. And you! Come with me." She pulls on Luke's arm, the three of them hurrying into the messy crowd of people.

Brooke was right. Looking around the foyer, I spot a messy head of curls between a lip-locked couple. Ashton spots me as well, and starts to head towards me. Of course, I panick. I've never been to this house, so I have no idea where to go....but I decide to take a chance and run up the stairs, entering the first room down the hall.

It's pitch dark inside, and the air smells of musty cologne... way too much of it. It's disgusting. My breaths coming out in short bursts, I lean on the door with my eyes squeezed closed.

"Who're you?" A voice calls out in the corner, startling me.

"Um....Jade," I reply.

"Jade?"

"Yeah, who are you?"

"Logan Laroche," the voice says.

Oh no. Not him.

"Or as everyone calls me...Herbert the pervert." He laughs drunkenly, sending a million chills down my spine. Something tells me I need to leave, right now.

"Right." I laugh nervously, fumbling for the door knob in panic.

"Don't leave!" Herbert the pervert exclaims. The room falls into short silence. Then, suddenly, a deafening noise rings through the room as something is knocked over and Herbert attacks me like a wild animal...hunting it's prey.

And my screams aren't loud enough.