Chapter 1// Nerd Meets Diva

"He was a dick; He cheated, he lied...his loss. I never talked to him again," I say. "And that's the end of the story. It's your turn."

"A breakup story? I...I don't think I'm good at those," the blond boy says, sliding his glasses up his nose.

I scoff at his innocence. "You don't even have a breakup story, do you?"

"Well...." He mumbles, flipping another page in his notebook. "Not really, to be honest."

"Well. You're going to be some dad."

"You're going to be some mom." He replies, staring at me with a look of disdain.

I sigh. "Never mind. Let's just start the project, all right?"

"We can't. Mr. Lowry said we should get to know each other first...and all I know so far about you is that: your boyfriend cheated on you, and that you don't like rap." The boy squints his eyes, looking down at the sheet of questions the teacher handed out.

"Fine," I grab the page, reading out a random question. "Do you like music?"

"Well, yeah. I sing in a band..." The boy blushes.

It suddenly interests me, that this shy, quiet kind of person could be a singer. "Really? And why have I not heard of this band?" I ask.

"Because no one knows about it. I mean, we can't all be popular like you," He says stiffly, and I hear a bit of pain in his voice. It's obvious he really cares about this.

But before I can reply, he moves on, reading another question. "Jade Thornton....are you the type of person to get revenge?" Then he frowns. "That's a strange question."

"The revenge type? I most certainly am." I smirk.

"I can tell."

"I can tell you are, too."

"The revenge type? Really?" He seems surprised.

"Yeah, you've totally got that silent, nerdy thing going on." I grin. "Then when you really want something, I bet you can..."

Oh, man.

I pause suddenly, my jaw dropping open.

Silence fills the air as I feel a knock at my window of opportunity.

"Holy shit!" I scream out, slamming a fist into the desk. "I have the best idea ever!"

"Is it about Family Studies? Because we really need to-"

"Shush, you. What's your name again?" I ask, pointing my finger at the boy's chest.

"Luke Hemmings." He blurts quickly. "Why do you ask?"

"Because, Loo Kemmings, you're going to do something for me."

...

The bell rings.

Luke follows me into the hallway, stuffing his books into his backpack and struggling to push his glasses back up his nose at the same time.

"So, um, Jade. The project?" He asks, tapping my shoulder.

"What project?" I ask stupidly. Maybe I'm a little too distracted, but it's explainable. I haven't had an idea this good in ages.

"Uh....the Family Studies project? In which we are partners and I'm playing the role of our baby's dad?!" Luke holds up a plastic baby doll which Mr. Lowry presented to us as: 'Sasha'. It's a pretty convincing baby, actually. It poops and everything.

"All right, you take Sasha home tonight, and take notes or whatever," I tell him.

"Jade, are you even listening? My mark depends on this project!"