Chapter 12// Unexpected

Luke is late for Family Studies.

He appears by the door with some blonde chick I don't know, who leaves after they finish their conversation. That's when he finally sees me staring and flashes a sheepish smile, like my brother does when he knows he did something wrong.

"Hey," he says, carefully sitting down next to me.

"Hey," I reply casually. He seems surprised that I'm not shooting daggers yet.

"So, um. I'm sorry I didn't call. My phone died."

"For the entire day? Seems legit," I drone.

"I was actually calling to let you know: tell Ashton what I told you, and you are dead. I am dead. The plan is over."

"Don't worry, I'm not stupid," Luke says just as Mr. Lowry breezes by, putting an essay on his desk. A big red A is scribbled over the front with Luke's name on the top.

He isn't stupid, that's the thing. Luke is smart. (Maybe more than I think he is.)

"You don't trust me?" He cocks his head, clearly amused.

"No."

"Then I guess we're getting an F on our project for 'lack of trust between the couple'."

Behind us, Mr. Lowry declares that he is visiting the men's room. More time to talk. Fortunately.

I shoot Luke a longgg look.

He sighs.

"I promise, secrets stay between the two of us. And the two of us only."

I'm about to point out that Hailey is in on the plan, so it's three instead of two. But his phone begins to ring. He takes it out of his pocket with stumbling fingers, almost dropping it twice.

Fucking. Ariana. Grande.

Her single, 'Problem' is his ring tone. I can see Luke trying to hide his flushed face with shame.

I'm scared to go to his gigs now. If he likes that girl stuff, what type of music would he play as a band? I stare in horror as he glances at the screen, and frowns slightly.

"Who is it?" I ask, the phone still vibrating in his hand.

"A girl that was flirting with me at the party."

I almost choke on air. "Wait," I cough. "You got a number on the FIRST PARTY you ever went to?"

"Three," he says sheepishly.

"Damn!" I say.
Luke blushes.

"Well, pick up! Put her on speaker."

"But I have a girlfriend."

"She obviously knows that," I roll my eyes. Like I'd expected, Hailey had taken the cue and written an article about the new, hot couple of Cedarwood. She'd used phrases such as 'Opposites attract' and 'Shocking' 98% of the entire school had read it by lunch.

And she's already posted two exclusives on Luke's band.

Beside me, Luke gives up and finally takes the call. "Uh, hello?" he answers.

"Hey! Luke!" Right away, I identify the girl as a wannabee who puts on a high-pitched voice, just to talk to a boy on the phone.

"Look, I'm having a campfire at my house on Friday. It's not a party, but more like a...hanging out kind of thing. Would you like to come? That is, if you're not busy with school work." She giggles.

It sounds like a challenge. "Say yes," I grit through my teeth.

"Um...I'll check my schedule and get back to you on that."