.4.

*Unedited...I'm on vacation.

Opal POV  

"I don't see why you can't just move in with me," Chris mentions as he pulls open the third apartment complex's door this afternoon.

I withhold the eye roll and choose to just sigh instead. "You know why, Evans."

"No, actually I don't." I ignore the slight pout across his face and ring the small bell that sits next to a sign in book. He picks up a pamphlet and begins looking through it, getting himself ready to argue how his apartment is better than this one. "Uh oh."

I lean my hip against the wall as we continue to wait. "What now?"

"Their pool is on the ground level." He tosses the flyer back onto the table. "Let's go."

"What are you talking about? What's wrong with a pool on the ground level?" I cross my arms against my chest. I know what he's trying to do, but I'm not going to cave.

"Come on, Ope. It can't compare to a rooftop pool," he shrugs his shoulders, his hands raised palms up. "You love your sunsets and sunrises too much for a ground level pool."

I pick the pamphlet back up and swat him in the chest with it. "It's almost November. There will be no swimming. Nice try though," I assure him as I hear the clicking of dress shoes across the tile behind me.

"Hi, can I help you?" a tall, slender man of about forty asks when I turn around.

"No, we were just-"

I point a finger at Chris, interrupting him. "You, hush it." I turn my attention to the gentleman who's nametag reads Joshua. "Hi, I'm Opal Lucas. I believe we spoke on the phone yesterday afternoon?"

"Oh, yes! You were interested in a studio, correct?"

I nod my head and follow behind him as he motions towards an elevator. "You're actually in luck. I had a studio open up just last week. I'm surprised it hasn't been snatched up yet."

He holds the elevator door open for Chris and I to enter before he presses the number 2. "It's just on the second floor?" Chris asks.

Joshua fiddles with his keys, pulling one apart from the rest. "Yes. It's actually the first level of actual apartments."

I hear Chris suck air between his teeth before he gives a "huh." Apartment hunting may have been smarter to do by myself.

As soon as the question is answered the doors are already opening. Joshua moves to the right and stops at the very first door we come to. "This the room available?" Chris questions.

"Yep," Joshua answers before turning the key in the lock. He pushes the door open, letting us enter first.

I swear from first breath I feel like I'm going to pass out from the stench. There's a definite cross between urine stained carpet and cigarette smoke. I try my hardest to cover up the discomfort it's causing to my body. I place my hand strategically over my nose and mouth, hoping it looks more like I'm in awe than disgust. 

 It must be working because Joshua just goes right on with his talking, telling us the specs. "This one is just shy of 300 sq feet. One bedroom, one bath-"

  "One window," Chris notes. He's planted himself smack in the middle of the very small living area. It's so small that he can actually just maneuver his head slightly and see both the bedroom and the bathroom from his spot. Seeing his large stature hovering in the room makes it feel even more tiny than it already is. 

  I decide to continue and give it the benefit, going to look in the bedroom. Can it be called a bedroom? Honestly, it looks like a walk in closet, and even that is generous. "You'll need that twin bed from the carriage house," Chris teases over my shoulder.