.5.

Opal POV

  Climbing the steps up to the porch of Magnolia, just three days after the news that our offer had been accepted, my heart races much like it did when I signed the papers for this place.  The slight creak of the front door as I push it open reminds me of the argument I had with Pops about whether or not to oil it out or leave it as part of the Inn's charm. 

  The old man obviously won out. 

  "Good morning, Miss Lucas," Jeremy greets me as he bustles his way through the foyer with an outgoing guest's luggage. 

  "Morning, Jeremy." I look towards the front desk as I'm on my way to my office, noticing AnnaBeth isn't there. "Is AnnaBeth here yet?"

  Jeremy stops pushing the cart, standing a bit straighter towards me. "Yes, ma'am. The guests in room 3 wanted her to step out to the back patio for a moment. I believe they're considering us for their wedding." 

  A smile finds my lips as I nod my head. "Wonderful." 

  I set down my purse behind my office desk, turning on my computer to hear the low hum of its motor, when my cell goes off.  My heart leaps as I  know exactly who the message with be from, and even how it will start.

  Chris- Good morning, gorgeous. How was your night?

  Me- Morning, handsome. I had a great night. Full eight hours of sleep.

  Chris- Impressive. Beginning to be your norm again, huh?

  Me- Thankfully so.

  And it's true. Ever since the day Chris pulled me over in Atlanta, I've managed to get anywhere between seven and ten hours a night. There have been zero nightmares, along with nonexistent panic attacks waking me up. 

  Chris- Have you told them yet?

  Me- Actually, I'm about to call a meeting. You getting in or heading out?

  Chris- Just getting in. Gonna grab a bite, shower and sleep. Talk tonight?

  Me- You call me and I'll answer. I love you.

  Chris- I'm so happy to hear that again. Love you too, sweetheart.

  I quickly type up a text to my employee group chat, asking if they are able, to please join me in the dining room in ten minutes. I pull up a couple of pieces of information from the computer, press print and head back out towards the front. 

  "Good morning, Miss Lucas," AnnaBeth greets me from the desk as I round the corner. I tell her good morning with a smile as I look through a couple of folders off to the side of the desk.

  I take a step back, eyeing the desk, trying to find what I'm looking for. "Anything I can help you with?" she offers.

  "Do you have the hard copy planner for events?" I ask, turning to look on the thin table behind me.

  "Oh, yes ma'am." She moves a couple of papers and pulls out the mint colored binder. "The couple that just checked out were asking about possible dates for their wedding in six months."

  "Perfect!" I glance at my watch and then notice a couple of my employees making their way to the dining room. "Ready?" I ask AnnaBeth, motioning for her to go ahead of me.

  "Good morning, everyone! Please take a seat," I gesture for each of them to find a seat at one of the many available tables. I can feel my heart racing again, out of pure excitement, with maybe only a touch of fear.

  Mila sits across the room, closer to the entryway of the kitchen. She looks at me a little strangely, eyeing me up and down. She raises her hand before I even begin. "Questions already, Mila?"