.9.

Opal POV

Christmas Eve looks a bit different this year. 

 Last year was spent with Pops even though he pushed so hard for me to go to Boston with Chris. I remember telling him my fear of it being his last Christmas, that there would be plenty more Christmas' to be spent with Chris. 

 My first fear became reality. I just never thought the second half of the statement might not have been true. 

 But, here we are. No Pops for me to tease about whether or not he's decent before barging through his door. No arguing about how we'll spend the day and with who. 

 This year will be spent in a very different environment. The reality coming crashing down rather harshly on me as I stand in the airport's main concourse with Chris waiting on his family. 

 "You okay?" his voice pulling me from the thoughts that threaten to run rampant at an inappropriate time. He slips his cell back into his pocket, his hand coming to rest on the small of my back.

  I could lie, but that doesn't help the situation. It certainly won't help me with the feelings I'm having to keep them bottled up. It's just not the best time to be thinking about it. "Just thinking," I decide to go with. 

  "I can tell," he whispers over me, bringing himself closer. "Seems like your brain has been running nonstop the last couple weeks since-"  He stops speaking, his hand moving to hold mine as his finger runs over my ring finger. "Where's your ring?"

  "Well, since we hadn't told anyone yet I worried they might see it before we're ready," I admit sheepishly.

  Chris gazes into my eyes, looking for an answer of something he hasn't even asked yet. "Are you having second thoughts?" 

 "No! Not at all, Chris. I promise I'm not." 

My fears that he truly believes it a possibility is heartbreaking, making me feel like I need to prove to him in some way more than just my words. "Please believe me. If you'd rather I yell it loudly for the whole airport to hear as soon as we see your family, I will. Please just don't doubt me."

  "Baby, baby, shhh..." he soothes me immediately. "You don't have to do all that. I just want us to both be on the same page at the same time. If," he pauses using his thumb and finger to guide my chin further up, "that should ever change, just tell me."

  "I promise," I vow, sealing it with a lingering kiss to his lips. 

 I hear someone behind me clearing their throat, interrupting our little moment of reassurance with one another. But I recognize it very well, as does Chris who continues kissing me, his hand moving from my back. When I pull away, I start to giggle seeing him flipping Scott off. 

  "Behave!" I smack my hand against his chest before being grabbed up by Scott. 

  "The old man's not around to give him grief for not keeping his hands off of you, figured I needed to step up to the plate," he says lovingly as he squeezes me tight. 

  Before I can respond I feel another set of hands on my back, gently turning me from Scott when he releases me. Lisa pulls me close just as quickly as she can, rubbing my back. "I've missed you, sweet girl," she whispers lowly.  

  "You too," I respond, my voice cracking from feeling the outpour of love from just five simple words and a tender hug. 

  Next thing I know I hear a whiny Chris complaining how he's feeling left out. Scott grabs him quickly and starts kissing his cheek, sending all of us into a fit of laughter. "Alright, alright!" Chris pushes him off, reaching for his mother and father now. "Luggage."