.8.

Opal rolls over onto her right side, the sound of the alarm bringing her back to reality. Even though she'd been awake for almost two hours already simply daydreaming. 

  With a smile that is unable to be washed from her face she opens up her ongoing messages with Chris. 

  "Good morning, fiance." Her heart simply sings as she types out the words.

  She knew he was in a meeting before the official start to his shift, any form of response not being expected at this point in the day. A quick shower and a cup of coffee later Opal sits on the front porch waiting for the flooring people who were coming to finish the rest of the upstairs rooms. 

  But before they could show up, she saw Laura's car pull up and park along the street. As she climbs out of the car, Opal realizes she must be on her way to the salon since she's dressed in all black. 

  "Well?" she calls out as soon as her feet hit the sidewalk.

  "Well, what?" Opal plays coy, acting as though she doesn't have the slightest clue of what Laura is questioning her about.

  "Did you do it? Did you ask him?" 

  Opal stands and meets her on the porch, embracing her gently before leaning down to Laura's 28 week belly. "Your mama doesn't exactly know how to speak to someone so early in the morning. We'll have to work on that." 

  "I'm impatient and pregnant, don't mess with me, Ope."  She waddles over to one of the hanging porch swings Chris put up the week before. "Did you or did you not propose?"

  Opal shakes her head no.

  "What do you mean, no? I thought this is what you wanted! We talked about this. There's no reason for y'all to start all over again from the beginning and date for months upon months before getting engaged again. Why are you doing this to yourself? Why are you doing this to him?" she both scolds and whines to her friend. 

  Opal just stares at Laura, letting her spit out all kinds of frustration. "Are you finished?" she asks when Laura pauses to catch her breath.

  "I just thought you were past all that crap from before." She sits back on the bench, her arms crossing protectively against her chest.

  "I didn't propose to him. That doesn't mean we're not engaged."

  The word peaks Laura's interest, causing her to turn her attention back to Opal who is wiggling around the fingers of her left hand. "He proposed to me," she admits finally.

  "Ah!" Laura squeals, attempting to get back up from the swing. Opal immediately tells her to stop as she goes to her. She sits down next to her, letting Laura squeeze her as she starts to hear her whimper. "That's a dangerous game, Ope. You're gonna make my blood pressure sky rocket out of frustration."

  "I'm sorry It was just too good of an opportunity to have a little bit of fun."

  "So, how did it happen? Was he planning to do it last night too?" she begs for details.

  Opal goes on to tell her how they enjoyed dinner and spoke about their day. Laura stops her to ask if she told him about the tattoo, but Opal lets her know that's for a later time. "And then I just asked him to ask me again."

  "Like you did when he was trying to get your phone number?" Opal nods, a tiny grin forming. "That is precious. And he caught on easily or what?"

  "Well, he actually startled me because he ran out the door," she laughs out. "But then he came back in with the ring box in his hand, got down on one knee and that was that."