.16.

Opal POV

  A sigh of relief flows from my chest as I notice that no one is out on the wrap around porch as Laura pulls up in front of The Paper Ring Inn. She carefully, but yet quickly hops out of the car to come over to the passenger side to help me out of the car. As I stand, trying to make sure I don't break a heel this early in the night, she reaches into the backseat pulling out the bouquet I'd created using Granny's brooches.

  I smile as I remember the night before my birthday when Chris asked if I had any thoughts about what type of wedding I wanted. And to be honest at the time there had only been one thought and that was using Granny's brooches in my bouquet.

  "Scott said everyone is in the sitting room and dining room so I need to get you to that side of the porch without anyone noticing," Laura says, pulling me from my memory

She carries my bouquet, walking ahead of me as I lift the skirt of my dress up, careful not to step on it. We tiptoe the best we can once we reach the steps up to the porch. We walk off to the left side, the side in which my office window is on, knowing no one will be around that side of the house to see me.

Laura passes me the bouquet, pausing to pull me into a hug. I hear her sniffling as she holds me. When she pulls back both of our eyes are misty, silently saying so much to one another. She leans in, kissing my cheek carefully before dabbing at my eyes with a tissue she's pulled from her small handbag. "Love you, Ope," she says quietly before squeezing me tight once more. I give her a nod, knowing that if I speak I will lose what little resolve is holding me together for now.

She sneaks off back to the front door, entering in as if she just pulled up. And from what I can tell by the muffled voices before the door shuts behind her, no one is the wiser.

I set the bouquet down on the side rocking chair in order to adjust myself. I'm able to use the reflection off of my office window to help me make sure everything is in place as it should be. My heart skips a beat as I hear the string quartet begin playing for the first time.

Knowing I have just a handful of moments before my world changes again, I close my eyes in order to steady my breathing.