.12.

Chris POV

  I may or may not have groaned loudly at the sound of the alarm going off. The thoughts in the back of my mind reminding me that this is indeed my last day off until our big trial weekend full of friends and family. 

  I hadn't told Opal yet but I'd be taking the entire following week for vacation. The plan is to surprise her with a few moments of just the two of us in the mountains of Pennsylvania. She'll probably argue with me a bit, suggesting we stay closer and for a shorter amount of time, but reservations have already been made and I'm not gonna change them.

  My brow furrows as I hear a knock on the apartment door. I have no idea who it could be, especially since I'm not suppose to pick up Opal for another hour and a half. 

  I pull on my pajama pants before shuffling to the door. A glance through the peep hole shows the love of my life bouncing on her toes. I pull the door open without unlatching the sliding lock. 

  "Gorgeous?" I call her my favorite form of endearment. "You're not suppose to be here."

  "Christopher?" she teases back. "I was too excited. Open the door and let me in." 

  Once the door is unlatched and open I see the back of breakfast foods from Egg Harbor clutched in her hand. "Bless you, my love." I stand out of the way, inviting her in. 

  "Evans, I think you're missing something." 

  I pause, just shy of pulling the chair out away from the table, my hands sitting on my hips. "Oh, right!" I lean in, giving her perfect pink lips a peck with my own. "Better?"

  "Not quite what I was talking about." She busies herself with pulling the food from the bag.

  I shake my head, realizing what she's talking about. I move to the kitchen and start the coffee pot. "Coffee. Sorry baby, you hadn't given me a whole lot of time to get going this morning."

  She steps into the kitchen,  reaching around me to grab her mug. "Also, not what I meant, but thank you anyways."

  Stopping my efforts I stand in the middle of the kitchen looking around. It wasn't a kiss or coffee that was missing, then what could it actually be? The thought continues to run through my mind as Opal fixes her coffee. She turns, resting her back against the counter, and lovingly stares at me. 

  "Can you give me a hint?" I ask, scared that I've forgotten some important date in our history.

  Opal continues staring at me, her eyes blinking every so often, but still doesn't speak. My agitation slightly grows, causing me run one hand through my hair before crossing both my arms against my chest. At this motion she cocks her head a bit to the side, a smirk finding her lips as her eyes glance ever so slightly down from my face. 

  Now, realization hits me. "A shirt?" I mention, looking along with her at my bare chest. "Ya know," I slowly stalk over towards her, "soon it won't matter if I, or you, just walk around the apartment completely naked twenty-four hours a day." I take the mug from her hand, setting it down before my  hands rest on either side of her along the counter. 

  "And what a glorious time that will be," she teases. My breath hitches as she  runs a fingertip along the tattoo of her heartbeat over my own, causing it to race ever so slightly. "But, until then," she pauses her motions, looking directly into my eyes, "put a shirt on or I'm gonna turn this kitchen into a slip n slide from all the drool." Playfully she pushes me away from her, grabs her coffee and takes a seat at our breakfast.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Opal POV

  "I think you've kept this decision hidden from me for long enough, don't you?"