My Dear Beloved

20th August: A Walk in the Park

August, the month where the summer air slowly welcomes the autumn breeze. Even so, the golden sun is still up high even in the last days of August. To most, the hot weather or the bright sun is the bane of one's existence. But not for a certain golden-haired woman. While most prefer to stay indoors, cooling themselves with air conditioners and popsicles, Rio Akabane decides to go out instead. When her co-worker asked why would she go out in this hot weather, she reasoned that the shining sun does not bother her and that the air is still cool enough to keep her away from heatstroke.

"Ah, it's a Saturday and I got no work to do right now. Hmm, I wonder where should I go," she talked to herself, paper in hand. Before she can open the internet to browse for places to visit not far from here, three knocks were heard from the front door of her house.

She ignores the knocks at first, thinking someone else would open them. She then remembers that her husband and children are currently out. With a sigh, she tidies up the rest of her paper before opening the door for the unknown visitor.

Unlocking the wooden door, Rio was greeted by a couple, way older than her whose looks share a resemblance to her. At this, Rio widens her eyes in surprise, "Mom, Dad?! You didn't tell me you plan on coming here."

"It wouldn't be a surprise now, would it? Right, dear?" the woman nudge her husband. He replies with a nod before looking back at Rio with a smile, "How are you all?"

"We're doing great! The kids are out with him though. Ah, come in first. I'll prepare some drinks and snacks for you."

Upon entering, the elder woman stopped her and shook her head, "No need. We're actually wondering if you're busy at the moment?" Rio pretends to ponder for a moment before shaking her head. Still, the blonde questioned her parents' sudden question.

"Let's have a walk in the park. I heard the park here is very beautiful. We haven't been able to walk together for some time."

If the unexpected visit made her jump, then the unexpected invite to just 'hang out' must've made her heart stop beating. Sure they had their difference in the past and it was all solved years ago (and she's really grateful for it, although it did take her a long time to fully forgive them), she can't help to ask what's the sudden occasion for such trip.

"No particular occasion."

The answer raised Rio's suspicion. Nevertheless, Rio agrees and changes to an attire that suits the sunny weather. It wasn't too hot so she decides that a hat won't be necessary. After locking the door, Rio takes out her phone before walking toward her parents who were waiting at the gate. Of course, Rio didn't forget to inform her family about her whereabouts and that she left the keys under the soil of the plant beside their door.

The walk to the park is nice. The air is cooler than it was at her house, which is understandable by the amount of greenery surrounding the park. During the walk, both parents and their daughter were able to have an enjoyable conversation with none bringing up the bad past. Rio asked her parents how her brother was doing. Her mother gladly filled her in with the latest g̶o̶s̶s̶i̶p̶ information. Her father occasionally gives out a comment or corrects misinformation given by her.

It was all great until Rio noticed a suspicious ma walking toward a woman who is going in the opposite direction from them. She could just leave, but her gut feeling is telling her to stay and keep an eye on them.

As the person walks closer, Rio turns her head a bit to the right while discreetly giving a side glance. Fortunately, Rio wore her sunglasses to cover this. The person and the woman walked and walked, finally passing by Rio and her parents.