A Not-So-Lonely Birthday

Note: I don't remember it being stated what Karma's parents are like aside from them often leaving Karma to travel. So, all the content regarding his parents is my headcanon of what they are like.

Feeling Christmas all around
And I'm trying to play it cool 

The music is no longer audible as he closes the doors behind him. He glanced at his surroundings and then back at his hands. The snow has long fallen since early December. The streets had been decorated with Christmas lights since the end of November. Really, he never realized that time would fly by this quickly. Outside the office building, he looks at the sky whilst letting out a hefty breath, resulting in a cloud of water vapor appearing due to the cold air. His co-workers said their goodbyes before proceeding to continue on the day in the opposite direction as he is.

Not feeling like going home yet, he walked aimlessly as he let himself be mesmerized under the warm lights of the decorations that are held up high. In his detour, he spots a family at the shop that he frequents. The only grandchild of the shopkeeper is seen to be building a snowman with the fallen snow as his parents decorate the front of the shop with some ornaments. The man does not know why his feet have brought him to the front of the shop, alerting the whole family.

"Ah, if it isn't Mr. Akabane. I didn't expect you to have gotten out of work so early," the shopkeeper said, exiting the shop to greet him personally. The shopkeeper is an elderly lady who he assumed to be in her seventies.

The first time he visited the shop was because of his wife. He didn't understand what was so appealing about the antique shop that his wife begged him to go with her when she could just visit the place herself. Now, he's glad that she showed him. It's nearly a year now that he would occasionally stop by to either chat or buy unique-looking trinkets for fun's sake.

"It's a week till Christmas, the office dismissed quicker. Not the work, however. I still got a full bag of things that I need to sort out before the holiday season," he patted his briefcase, "Also, I thought you have dropped the formalities already."

"Now, now, how is this old woman supposed to know if you come as a customer or a friend? But enough of that, how is your wife? It's been a while since I last saw her. Is she doing okay, Karma?"

At the mention of his wife, his eyes soften, "Yes, she is. She also has been pouting about not being able to go out due to her work demands," to the lady's confused expression he quickly added, "Her side job. The one where she writes side stories for children's magazines?"

She let out an oh before giggling, "Being a writer is not an easy task after all, huh? Oh, that's right. It's not nice to keep you standing here, would you like to enter for a cup of hot chocolate?"

"That would be delightful, sadly I think I will have to pass this time." A voice was heard from inside, stopping Karma from saying his goodbyes.

"Nu-uh you aren't. At least bring a cup would ya?" The shopkeeper's son hurriedly go outside when hearing about Karma leaving. Their age wasn't far apart with him being just 3 years older than he is. He forcefully put the cup of chocolate in his hand to Karma, not letting a no for an answer.

"You're as energetic as always. I guess we all can tell where the bundle of energy that your son has comes from," Karma snickered.

"Haha, very funny Mr. Akabane. Now shoo, go along now."

"Wait a minute. There is something I would like to give you if you don't mind," The son's wife handed a paper bag to Karma, "It's for your wife. I hope you don't take a peek."

He wanted to peek at the content of the bag but restrains himself from doing so. With that he replied, "Noted, thank you. I'll be off now."

Karma approaches the kid that previously was covered in snow, "Goodbye to you too, buddy." He high-fived the kid and set off to wherever his foot sets him.