𝐱𝐢. 𝐡𝐢𝐠𝐡 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐬𝐮𝐬𝐩𝐞𝐧𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧

𝐒𝐈𝐆𝐍𝐈𝐅𝐈𝐂𝐀𝐍𝐓 | 𝐀𝐧𝐝𝐫𝐞𝐚 𝐇𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐭𝐨𝐧
𝐇𝐚𝐰𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐬, 𝐈𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐚𝐧𝐚

IN THE SUMMER OF '85, Andrea Harrington continues to make minimum wage on her job at the town's local memorial library, earning money she wants to use in her future rather than to depend on her parents, especially now more than ever. When they found out that she, like her brother Steve, landed a job, they asked her why she would want to work when she has an allowance.

Ever since Steve barely graduated high school with grades even Andrea was ashamed of, they've been treating him oddly bad but not surprising since it was his own fault too. All his college requirements didn't meet his match, not even NYU nor any other school their parents approved of. Even when Andrea basically did all of his college applications, essay and worksheets, he still failed because of the curriculum.

But since Andrea graduated valedictorian with straight A's and a honorary mention from the school board, she gets to be on their good side. Especially that she's planning on pursuing her father's alma mater, Emerson college. But not in reasons they think, but to also go to medical school together with her girlfriend, Nancy Wheeler.

Nancy who also landed an internship together with Jonathan Byers at the Hawkin's Post. Ever since then, Nancy would complain endlessly about her superior being these mysoginist pricks who sits on their ass all day and goes with every single rumor that is said around town and plasters it on the local papers for people to believe.

Not that Andrea didn't mind the constant complaints, it can be too much sometimes. But not over the top that it could strain their relationship. So far, this summer has been great to them and what they have. Andrea wouldn't have it either way.

For a few months since she started working at the library, she earned a bit of trust from the other worker that was in charge of her, kept her in line, gave her lists of jobs including organizing the shelves and such. Now, she could handle the whole building alone and sometimes it could get a bit boring, especially in late mornings and early afternoons.

"Harrington, you gotta restock the upper shelves in fifteen."

"Christ, Lena, ever heard the words wait a damn second?" Andrea teases, rounding the front desk, grabbing the ringing telephone before any more of the old people visiting the library hushes her in her own library. "Yes, hello. Town library. Uhuh." She lists down the caller's name and a book about human anatomy and a bunch others.

It was rare to get a call in a day. Sometimes, they don't get a call at all. But when they do, it's mostly reservations that needs to be list down and stocked behind the desk where the next day, said customer would pick it up.

The entrance opens and closes with a bell chiming. Andrea has held the telephone between her left ear and shoulder while she doodles on a paper, listening to the constant gibberish on the other line. What sucks is that she can't hang up, a stupid rule she absolutely hates. What's the decline button for if she can't even use it?

"Hey."

Andrea looks up from the paper, surprised to see Nancy who was way too early to be here against their agreed time. "I, uh— Hey." The phonecall was long forgotten when Nancy was right across from her, smiling that shown a hidden dimple on her left cheek. "Sorry, I have to put you on hold— What are you doing here? It's way too early." Andrea asks, finally got an excuse to slam the phone back to the booth.