Prologue

"Hey Cap! What are you up to?" Buck greeted, walking past the table to grab a cup of coffee from the kitchen. The rest of the team were lounging around, either playing Mario Kart or reading a book. It was one of the brief moments in their day where they had had a decent break between calls, so they were enjoying the down time.

Bobby sent the youngest firefighter a brief smile, "Just filling out some forms and making flyers." He explained. This caught the attention of his team, "Flyers? Are we having another event?" Hen chimed in. Soon enough everyone was gathered around the table, peering nosily over Bobby's shoulder.

Firefighter Internship - Apply Now!

An internship? This was something new. "Why do we need an intern?" Buck questioned, obviously less than keen on any new additions, especially interns. He had met some other interns from his time travelling and, whilst there were some nice people, most of them were just looking for something to put on their university application. A firehouse should be a place for people who are passionate about the career, not some bratty kids.

Bobby refrained from sighing at Buck's tone (The tone itself wasn't that obvious but Bobby knows the man well enough now to notice these things), "It's a new initiative they are implementing at some of the firehouses. We were lucky enough to be chosen." He explained, handing them each a flyer to read all the details.

"I'm not sure if lucky is the word I'd use." Eddie murmured, causing Buck to snort. Bobby rolled his eyes with a fond smile, "Come on you guys, this could be good. An extra set of hands to help us out around here and I'm sure this person would love the extra help into developing their career." Bobby was always optimistic.

Chim pulled an awkward face in response, placing the flyer back down on the table. "I hate to break it to you Cap, but I'm pretty sure most of the applicants aren't looking to be firefighters." Even Chim was hesitant, which did not plead well for Bobby's attempt at being positive.

The older sighed, collecting up his papers and standing up slowly. "We'll just have to wait and see. The applicants will be here for a day next week and it is our job to pick out the best candidate. You'll be meeting them all as a group and then you'll have individual interactions with them. Now if you're done with all the questions, I'll be in my office." Bobby smiled, taking his exit.

Buck groaned, making it clear he wasn't best pleased with the situation. "Oh you three are so dramatic. The kid is going to come in, help us out for a few months at most and then be on their way. I think it'll be a good thing." Hen declared, slapping Buck upside the head. The boys didn't look convinced, but were wise enough not to argue with Hen who was normally right about these things.

Who knows? Maybe the kid was going to defy all of their expectations.