Chapter 22

I sipped at the hot chocolate delicately, allowing the warm liquid to soothe my jittery nerves. The hospital had kept me in overnight and now I was currently sitting on Bobby and Athena's sofa.

The team were all here, as well as May, Harry and Christopher. I could hear them all chatting away in the kitchen, but I didn't have the energy to really listen to what they were saying.

Christopher fell on to the sofa beside me, smiling like he always does. "Hi Cooper! Dad said to keep you company because you're sad." He stated honestly. Eddie cursed quietly and I almost laughed at his lack of slyness.

I lightly patted his shoulder, "Thanks Christopher." I whispered. He nodded, seemingly misunderstanding my miserable tone.

A throat cleared from behind us and I let my head fall back against the sofa to look at the voice.

Buck smiled down at me, sadly of course, but a smile nonetheless. He gestured to the kitchen with his head. I heaved my body upwards and dragged my feet over to the crowd of people.

Athena had set up her kids and Christopher with some video games to keep them distracted from the conversation. My fingers gripped the counter as I hopped up, disliking my height disadvantage. This way I didn't have anyone looking down at me.

Buck shuffled forward and he looked as miserable as I felt. "I know you said about boundaries, but can I give you a hug?" He muttered.

All I've been thinking about for the last twenty fours hours was how the team would want nothing to do with me. How could I deny a hug when I so desperately wanted one?

Buck's arms wrapped themselves tightly around my frame. One hand was rubbing the centre of my back and the other gently stroked through the top of my hair. I collapsed into his chest, fisting his t-shirt and allowing myself to indulge in the comfort just this once.

All conversation in the room halted and I used Buck to block out the stares from touching me. A third hand joined the hug as it squeezed the back of my neck. I glanced up, only to catch Eddie sneaking beside his boyfriend.

"Hey Blue." He hushed gently.

A small sniffle was all I could give as a reply as I tried to ignore the sting in my eyes. Neither man commented on it, but they did let me go. I was grateful they didn't go far, choosing to stand either side of me and brush my arms with their own.

It was comforting, whether I wanted to admit it or not.

Bobby stood opposite me, seemingly the front man for this conversation. He was the captain after all. Still, I sat up a bit straighter and prepared to listen to what he had to say.

"Why didn't you tell us?" Turns out, Buck had a question before him.

I glanced to my left, "We haven't exactly been on the best terms for a while now and it's not something I like sharing with people." I explained, a hint of irritation hidden in my tone.

They all looked saddened by my response, which wasn't the outcome I wanted. Still, I glanced back over to Bobby for him to speak.

"I said you could tell us when you were ready. I'm sorry that we didn't make you feel comfortable enough to tell us." He answered.

I shook my and scoffed stubbornly, "Don't say that. Don't do that! You guys are great, you're nice and you save lives everyday. I'm the problem! I'm the foster kid here." I snapped, forming fists on top of my thighs.

Athena stepped forward, an eyebrow raised and attitude lacing her figure. "Now what the hell does being a foster kid have to do with this?" She questioned. I don't know what she was annoyed about, but I bet I'd find out.