Chapter 27

My hands clenched around my bags as I shuffled through the door. It had taken a few days for Andrea to get the details finalised, but now I was officially living in the Buckley-Diaz household.

Was I sure that this was the best idea? No. But, I was mostly sure that I was going to be safe here. I've known them for quite a while now, so I'd like to think I'd have noticed if they were bad people.

I was surprised Andrea agreed in the first place, considering she didn't want me to move again. But when I told her it was Buck and Eddie, she was all for it. It wasn't like her to be enthusiastic about a foster home, so I'm not sure what she saw in Buck and Eddie to think differently.

Still, part of me was grateful to be moving into their home. The other part of me was downright terrified of what could happen. I had to be on my best behaviour because one slip-up could be the end of my internship.

I tried not to think about it, instead choosing to look around the place. It felt homey with all the photos of their family and the team. There were plenty of decorations and trinkets scattered around and it created a comfortable atmosphere.

"Cooper? You coming?" Eddie called out, noticing I hadn't moved from the front door.

A nod answered his question and I shuffled over to the sofa instead, looking at the two men. Chris would be staying at his Abuela's house just for tonight. Eddie said it was to help me adjust, but it only made me feel like a bother.

Buck plucked my bags out of my hands and I tensed at the action. I never usually let someone take my bags, since it had all of my belongings inside.

This is Buck- I reminded myself. Buck wouldn't hurt me.

He placed my bags down by the doorway and I was slightly relieved that they were still in my sight.

"Coop relax, okay? You've stayed here before and it's nothing new." Buck insisted, patting the space beside him.

Eddie was on the other end, effectively trapping me in between the two. I fiddled my with hands distractedly, "It's different- the circumstances I mean." I muttered.

The two nodded in thought, knowing that I wasn't entirely wrong. "You're right. But just like before, our home is open to whatever you need or want. It's your home too." Eddie explained.

My breath was caught in my throat at the last sentence. Hesitantly, I let myself sit down between the pair and I tried to relax into the soft cushions.

Everything was fine. I had slept on this sofa before and I'd been in this house before. I just had to pretend that it was the same.

An arm wound itself around my shoulders and I could feel the solid force against my tense form. "Jesus Blue, you need to relax before you burst a blood vessel." Buck whistled and I grumbled quietly.

"Do you want to put your bags in your room first or have some food? Completely your choice." Buck continued.

I couldn't help but flick my eyes to him in confusion, "My room? I thought I was on the sofa." I questioned. Normally they'd make fun of me for calling it a sofa and not a couch, but instead they looked confused too.

"What? No of course not. You're living here, of course you get your own room. It's not much right now, but it's got a bed and a dresser for your clothes. We can add whatever else you need in the future." Eddie explained.

A small 'oh' left my lips, but I stood up before either of them could comment on it. I insisted I could take my bags myself and made my way to the room they pointed to.

It was a small, cosy room. A single bed was tucked into the corner on the left and the dresser was placed on the opposite side of the room. Directly opposite the door was a large window, allowing me to look out into the garden.

The last remnants of sunlight from the day were trickling through the blinds and I almost smiled at the sight. It was an ordinary, plain bedroom. Yet I still found comfort in the small details.

I dropped my bags in front of the dresser, deciding that I'd unpack them later. The bed was soft when I sat down on it and the pillows were plush, making them far comfier than any other bed I've ever slept on.

I could get used to a bedroom like this.

My phone buzzed from my pocket and I glanced down, pulling it out. A few messages popped up from various people, mainly the team seeing how I was.

They all knew I was moving in with Buck and Eddie, especially since I had left the station with them earlier today.

Poppy and Willow were also informed and they had sent me a text checking on me. It was strange to have so many people asking if I was okay or checking on how well I was settling in. I guess I had never really had that before.

Quickly, I replied to them all to assure them I was fine and then placed the phone down beside me. They'd probably want me to come eat soon, so I was taking a second to collect my thoughts.

Everything had happened quite fast and I think I just needed a second to take a deep breath and let it sink in. It's scary to think that about five months ago I had never met these people before and now, I was living with two of them.

But it didn't feel like it. I mean, they had embraced me into their team so quickly and they all were good people. It was only natural that I'd become comfortable with them.

Bobby explained how all of them had formed a bond soon after meeting each other, especially Buck and himself. Sure it helped that everyone had their own family issues in the past, but there was no better family than the 118.

I guess it just took me some time to realise that.

A knock echoed around the room, alerting me to Eddie's presence in the doorway. "Buck's cooking spaghetti tonight, you hungry?" He questioned. His eyes flicked around the room momentarily, as if taking in the sight of me settling in.

"Yeah, sounds good. Thanks." I agreed, jumping up.

We went back into the living space and I laughed at the sight of Buck in a pink cooking apron. He grinned back, completely unembarrassed by his new look.

Eddie and I set the table, which helped me figure out what seat was mine. I didn't want to step on anyone's toes after all.

We all chatted aimlessly as dinner was prepared. My muscles relaxed over time and it felt like being back at the firehouse with everyone else. It was familiar and I was thankful that neither firefighter was acting differently.

As we all sat down to eat, I took a deep sniff of the food. Apart from the firehouse and the cafe, I hadn't had a proper home-cooked dinner in a long time.

I was sure I looked starved by the way I was eating, but I couldn't help it. This tasted amazing. I wondered why Buck didn't cook more often at the firehouse.

"Slow down Blue, you'll choke." Buck huffed a laugh as Eddie shook his head fondly. A small grin planted itself on my face as I slowed myself down.

Conversation continued to flow around the table as I chimed in every now and then, preferring to sit and listen. I had to pinch myself a couple times to remind myself that I wasn't dreaming because it was all so nice and nice things don't often happen to me.

A reminder was still buzzing in the back of my head that it wouldn't always be this good. But, I savoured the moment for now.

There was no need for me to worry about the future when I was content in the present.