Chapter 29

"Buck!" Chris yelled before I could.

My arms tightened around him when he let out a sob and I desperately hoped he was going to be okay.

"Chris? Guys what's going on?" Buck questioned and I faintly heard Eddie worrying in the background.

I sucked in a pained breath and tried to concentrate on what I was going to say. "There's rubble on top of us- the bridge. We were on the bridge." I rambled. My leg spiked in pain as I tried to move, making me cry out.

"Wait, the bridge? You were on the bridge that collapsed?" Buck yelled and the voices in the background began to grow louder. It seems the whole team were there.

Still, Chris and I couldn't help but let out pitiful noises. I tried to suck in a breath, willing myself to be strong for Chris. "Please don't shout. Please, we're stuck. Buck-" I begged.

The sound of sirens drew closer and I guessed that emergency services finally arrived. How long had it been since we fell? Was that the team or someone else?

My phone started beeping and I looked down, almost sobbing at the low battery signal. "Buck- my phone. It's going to die." I stated. Chris shifted below me and I was thankful he was still moving.

"It's okay Coop, we're going to get you and Chris out of there. I need you to trust that I'll get you, okay?" He stated and if I wasn't in so much pain, I'd cringe at his wording.

A beeping sound echoed in the quiet air and I peered down once again. My phone screen darkened and then completely shut down. A frustrated noise left my lips as I threw it across the space, smashing it across a large piece of rubble.

Chris gasped and I immediately regretted my actions. "I'm sorry Chris. We're going to get out of here, okay? They'll find us." I promised. He hummed in agreement and my heart sunk.

Never had he been so quiet before. It only made my nerves skyrocket.

I moved Chris out of my arms, pushing him to sit up beside me. He seemed annoyed by the movement, but I was grateful he didn't argue.

My hands fluttered over any marks on him and I asked him a series of question. I don't think he had a concussion, since I had seen the team treat them from time-to-time. He was definitely exhausted by the whole ordeal and his shoulder was still bleeding, but everything else seemed minor.

I reached down and tugged my hoodie off, noting that it was Buck's one again. My t-shirt came off soon after and I tore a line down the middle. Chris hissed in pain when I began tying the fabric around his shoulder.

"That should put some pressure on the cut and slow the bleeding for now. Anything else hurt?" I questioned, slipping the hoodie back on.

Chris hummed, "I'm okay. It doesn't hurt that much anymore." He answered.

"You're a brave kid Chris. The bravest I've ever met." I exclaimed, relaxing when he smiled brightly back at me.

A noise came from our left and I glanced over, seeing the rubble shift slightly. It groaned at the heavy weight piled on top of it, but I was thankful nothing else moved. There was a small gap, allowing the light from outside to trickle in.

Suddenly, a plan flickered in my mind. "Chris, can you crawl?" I questioned. His crutches were definitely crushed inside the car and I wasn't going anywhere at this rate.

The boy nodded and I pointed to the gap, "If you can crawl through that gap, then you'll be safe from this pile up. You might be able to call for help or someone might see you." I explained.

"I can't leave you here." Chris argued. If this wasn't such a dire situation, I would be touched.

The next few minutes were spent with me convincing Chris that I'd be okay. I didn't know that for definite, but if he could make it out of this alive then it'd all be worth it.