Chapter 21

Buck hadn't used my actual name in a long time and it felt wrong hearing it come from his mouth.

"Cooper's in the house?"

"What the hell?"

Quickly, I realised that Buck had put me on speaker for the rest of the team to hear. "Now is not the time for you to get angry with me! I've got an eight year old and a nine year old in here with me- top floor. Look, my hand is sticking out the window." I explained, sticking the limb out into the fresh air.

My room was round the side of the house, so it took a second before I saw the group appear. Chim pointed upwards at me and shouted to the others where I was. Buck muttered something into the phone, before I saw him pass the phone to Bobby.

"How close is the fire to the room you're in?" He questioned. I darted over to the door and pressed my hand against the handle, immediately yanking it away with a hiss.

"Well the door handle just tried to give me a third-degree burn, so I'd say pretty close." I replied. I eyed the other two in the corner, crouching down and stroking their hair when I saw their tears.

I whispered reassurances as Bobby started giving out orders to the team. "Here's the plan Cooper. Hen and Chim are trying to find a way into the house right now and Buck and Eddie are going up the ladder. It's not going to quite reach the window, but there might be another way for us to reach you." The Captain explained as I saw the ladder making its way towards us.

"I can pass you the two kids if it reaches and I can figure something out for myself." I stated.

"No way kid. We're getting you out of there, no matter what." He assured.

Bobby assured me of the plan and stated that he was ending the call, but if anything changes I'll be the first to know. The phone slipped back into my pocket and I ushered the pair to the window. There was a small ledge I could sit on to keep my balance, so I could hand them over.

As was predicted, the ladder stopped just short of the window and Buck gave me an attempt at a smile. "We're going to help you guys, okay? Cooper, do you think you can hand them to me? I'll be able to take them both down at the same time." He assured.

I took their backpacks from them and placed them on the floor, assuring them that I'd keep their possessions safe. As carefully as possible, I lifted Oscar into my arms and stretched forward towards Buck.

The height made my stomach flip anxiously and I prayed to whatever god out there that neither of these kids were going to get hurt today.

Just like the fire almost three months ago now, it was Buck and I working together to help people. Except this time, I also needed help.

Lucy was handed off to Buck soon after and I only relaxed when they were safely secured to Buck and the ladder.

"Okay now-" the firefighter was cut off by the window behind him smashing. Fire began seeping out of the hole, threatening to bite at the three people on the ladder.

Suddenly, the ladder began retracting and moving away from me and the fiery window just a metre away from me.

"Eddie stop! Wait, I can get him! Cooper!" He began yelling and cursing at his boyfriend.

I understood what Eddie was doing. It was their job to secure the safety of the two victims they already had, especially two so young.

There was no use Buck staying to try and get me if it meant putting himself, Oscar and Lucy at risk. Besides, I could see the anxiety written all over Eddie's face, even from this distance.