Chapter 18

A few days after the whole fiasco at the warehouse, I was finally back working again.

Things were still a little awkward with the team, but they were still making the effort to show how much they cared. Especially Buck and Eddie (The only time they stopped watching me was when they were out on calls).

But it was fine. Totally fine.

I had to put all of that to the back of my mind for now though, since today was a big day. The Chief was coming in to evaluate whether having an intern has been a successful test at the 118.

So, he could walk in and decide that I wasn't useful anymore and that would be it. I would lose everything I had worked for thus far.

There was also an interview section of his evaluation. Every single one of the team, and me, will be interviewed about my time here. In my opinion, it couldn't have come at a worse time.

Just a few days ago I had caused such a scene at the warehouse and told these people to stop caring and now I needed them to keep this internship.

The world works in an annoying way.

To create a good impression, I borrowed a white shirt from the 'Lost & Found' box and tucked it into some baggy jeans I have. That is about as fancy as my clothing would allow, but I couldn't look too smart because I still had to work. I had help from Willow and Poppy since I didn't know anything about appropriate workwear.

"Coop, you're going to wear a hole in the floor." Chim called out, the sound of mariokart in the background.

I shook my head in minimal reply, thinking too hard to actually speak. The others were doing various tasks around the firehouse, making sure everything was ready for the arrival of the Chief.

Chim was on so-called 'Cooper Watch'. Seriously, was I not trusted?

The man groaned from the couch and lazily walked over to me, grabbing my bicep and dragging me over to the kitchen.

"Chim wait-"

"Nope. You and I are making everyone some coffee and you're going to relax before you have an anxiety attack." He deducted.

I let him push me over to the coffee machine and I naturally began to manoeuvre myself around to make everyone's drinks. "I'm fine! I'm just making sure I know what to say, how to act and I'm trying come across as a professional intern." I rambled with frustration.

Chim snorted in amusement, "Coop you need to relax. Don't you think that if you weren't a good intern that you wouldn't have stayed as long as you have?" He questioned.

I huffed as I poured the creamer in Buck's coffee, "Thanks Chim, I feel so much more confident now." I replied sarcastically. The man groaned at me and shoved my head to the side playfully, which made a small smile reach my lips.

We carefully lined all of the mugs along the counter with each team members' name on them. Chim placed one on the end and I blinked in confusion at it. It was just a plain mug without anyone's name on it and everyone else already had their own drink.

He slowly turned it around until the word 'Coop' appeared and I somehow managed to choke on air. "Children don't get coffee, but there is hot chocolate in there." He winked. I swallowed and hesitantly picked up the warm item.

"Thanks Chim." I whispered, barely audible.

There were no other words spoken, but I understood what he meant. It was a real showcase that I was a member of this firehouse, even after the whole debacle and all the trouble I've caused.

A throat cleared from behind us and I jumped out of my skin. Bobby looked apologetic from where he was stood, gesturing to the balcony.

"The Chief will be here soon. How about you go wait in the bunk room? I'll send someone to grab you when we're ready." He explained softly. My stomach curled with anxiety, noting the fact that I wasn't going to know what's happening.