Chapter 5

After Buck and I's little argument, things had been a bit awkward in the firehouse. I was still the newbie and nobody could really decide whether to defend Buck as his friend or go easy on me as I hadn't actually done anything wrong. Bobby was obviously neutral grounds as the Captain, but he couldn't make his team act normal around me.

Hen was okay, she still chatted to me during our shifts. Chim was unsure, meaning he only really spoke to me if he had to. Anytime Eddie tried to speak to me, he'd catch Buck's eye and give me a sorry smile before walking away. Buck, of course, was staying away from me like I had the plague.

At least Hen had given me updates on the dynamics between the team and gave me some helpful information to hold on to.

Like how Buck and Eddie were dating, and Eddie has a kid from a previous marriage that apparently adores Buck too. How come Buck was nice to them and not me?

Still, once Hen told me that it became abundantly clear just how in love they were. If I wasn't currently arguing with Buck, I'd find it quite sweet. I was even informed of Bobby's paternal feelings towards Buck, which baffled me once again.

It was clear that Buck was loved here, so why did he have to be such a jerk to me? Anyway, the family dynamic in the station made itself known and it seemed like a comfortable, safe place. If only I could fit into their safety bubble.

Bobby had given me the day off today, claiming that I wasn't allowed to be overworked. Whatever that means. So, I'd spent the day relaxing and just walking around the city finding things to keep myself occupied.

I had been running some errands for Poppy and Willow for most of the day, which is how I ended up in the local supermarket to grab some food. The list was crumpled in my hand and Willow's writing was barely eligible, but I managed anyway. I unraveled the wad of cash I was given and counted it out, double-checking how much I had for their groceries.

People were giving me strange looks as I walked around with a trolley, sometimes lifting myself up to skid across the floors. If the aisle was empty I'd try to see how far I could go and I let myself indulge on the childish fun. As I walked around the shop I grabbed various items, trying to do a mix of good pricing and things that actually tasted edible.

Now, I wasn't short by any means and I stood at a good 5"10 for now before I'd get my last growth spurt. But when Poppy's favourite cereal box was at the very back on the top shelf, I really had no chance in reaching it.

Despite this, I still refused to look around and ask for assistance, which ended with me climbing the side of the trolley to get a higher look for the box. I felt my fingertips brush against the side of a box and I stretched my arm out as far as it could go.

Then, a hand reached past and scooped up the box from right in front of me. I made a stupid noise in surprise and felt as the trolley slipped from beneath my feet. "Crap-" I yelped, only to be caught by a strong set of hands.

Well this was embarrassing.

The man gently placed my feet back on the ground and I spun around to see the person I least expected to catch me. Buck.

"W-What are you doing here?" I questioned, seeing how he wasn't in his uniform. Buck rolled his eyes, gesturing behind him "Eddie and I have the day off so came to get some groceries. You're welcome by the way." I tilted my head and spotted Eddie just behind his boyfriend, holding the precious cereal box I had risked my life for (maybe I was being a touch too dramatic).

That's when I noticed a young boy on crutches beside Eddie, making my curiosity peak. Wisely, I chose not to comment on the kid, "Yeah okay, right. Thanks." I stuttered, nodding at Eddie when he passed me the box.

I placed it in the trolley, thankful that it was the last item I had to grab so I could make a quick exit now. "Dad, who's that?" The kid asked, grinning wildly at me. He seemed sweet.

"That would be Cooper, he's the intern I told you about." Eddie spoke about me? To his son?

"Hi Cooper, my name is Chris!" The kid greeted, leaning on his dad as he waved at me. I may or may not have a soft spot for kids. "Hey mate, it's nice to meet you." I grinned at Chris laughing at my British accent.

I could faintly see the two older men smiling at the scene and for a second I could see Buck's good nature. Then I remembered he was an arse and the feeling soon went away.

We awkwardly stood there for a few more seconds before I mumbled some excuse and shuffled away with the trolley. I wasted no time rushing to the till, thanking the lady who was scanning my items.

As I handed her the money, a loud bang went off and the sound of screaming started up. My eyes widened in fear as I moved to the windows, spotting an apartment block across the road.

The top floor of the building had its windows smashed and I could see fire beginning to spill out of the right side of it. Screams of help echoed the busy street and I instinctively ran out of the shop.

People were stood on the street staring up, whilst others began running out of the fire escape in the building. The lower floors were being cleared out, but I couldn't see anyone running from the upper floors.

"Help please! We're up here!" A voice yelled and I spotted a woman waving out of a window on the front of the building. The fire hadn't hit the room she was in yet from what I could see down here, although it wouldn't take long for it to spread.

"Stay here! Keep Chris safe, I'm going to go help!" A man yelled and I blinked as Buck ran past me towards the building. He couldn't go alone, it was too dangerous. I glanced back to see Eddie on the phone, presumably to 911, and Chris clutched tightly in his arms.

Buck needed backup and it wasn't going to come anytime soon.

Idiotically, I ran after Buck and ducked into the alleyway beside the burning building. It had been a while since I climbed drainage pipes, but there's no time like the present. I passed by the firefighter, much to Buck's shock, and began climbing the pipes like the monkey I had evolved from.

"Kid, that isn't safe- Cooper!" Buck panicked and if this wasn't such a serious situation, I'd laugh at him. "You're not doing this alone. Besides, Eddie would kill you if you died." Buck pulled a confused face at my comment, decidedly ignoring it and climbing after me.

We reached the top floor in no time and, luckily, the window wasn't locked. I pushed it open, using my shoulder to keep it propped up as I maneuvered inside. I kept it open for Buck, grabbing a nearby ornament to keep it open.

Buck turned to me and I would be lying if I wasn't slightly intimidated by the way he loomed over me, "You do as I say in here, okay? This isn't a game and if I say run, you run." He ordered. Upon noticing my silence, he raised a questioning eyebrow and I nodded quickly.

Sir, yes sir.