Chapter 24

A lump formed in my throat as I stared at the text in front of me. It was my day off today, meaning I spent my time at the cafe helping out Willow and Poppy. Normally one of the team would stop by to pick up some coffees for everyone and then be on their way again.

But nobody came in today.

I hadn't questioned it before, since they were busy people and had lives to save. It wasn't until late in the afternoon that I received a text from Athena.

A total freak accident had occurred where the firetruck had been hit by an oncoming lorry. They weren't rushing, but apparently the lorry had ran a red light and crashed straight into the side of the vehicle.

"Willow I-I need to go." I stuttered, stumbling away from the pastry shelf. She turned around to glance at me and her expression turned worry at my pale complexion.

I rushed out an explanation in quick words and she gently pushed me towards the door. "I'll drive you, it's not far. The cafe isn't busy." She declared and I didn't have it in me to argue with her.

We jumped into her car and I texted Athena for anymore information. The only reply I got was their room numbers and, luckily, most of them were all together. Eddie's room was separate from the others and was a floor below, which only made unease churn in my stomach.

Willow sped through the traffic and made it to the hospital in record time. "Here take these, Poppy made them up before we left." She urged. I took the bag from her, peaking in to see a selection of cakes and pastries inside.

I thanked her kindly, quickly giving her a hug before I jumped out of the car. My fist clenched tightly around the paper bag as I beelined for the stairs inside. Technically only family were allowed to see patients, which is why I didn't bother going to the receptionist and asking.

My instincts told me to go to the majority of the group, since I knew Athena would be there to explain a few more things. I felt uneasy going past Eddie's floor, but I couldn't do anything if I didn't know what was happening.

The sound of voices floated down the corridor as I got closer and I recognised the sound of Buck arguing. I burst through the door in panic, wincing as it slammed against the wall.

They were all in hospital beds, still dressed in their uniforms, but they looked okay. Buck was the only one stood up and was trying to argue with a doctor about leaving.

"Cooper!" Chim greeted in relief, making all attention fall to me.

Athena moved from Bobby's side and gently took the bag from my hands, "Is everyone okay? What happened? Why isn't Eddie here?" I rambled out. Athena hushed me softly, rubbing my shoulder temporarily.

"There were no life-threatening injuries. Everyone has to stay overnight for precaution as they all have various injuries. Eddie is downstairs because they're trying to relocate his shoulder, which apparently is more difficult than it sounds." She explained.

Buck glared at the doctor in front of him, "Exactly! So I should be there with him and not stuck here!" He yelled. I couldn't help but flinch at the noise since I wasn't used to the anger coming from Buck.

The doctor began trying to settle the irate firefighter again as the others try to help him. Athena walked back over to Buck so she could help him back into bed.

As they were all distracted and I knew they were okay, I ducked back out into the corridor. I already had Eddie's room number and the others would be a while before they could visit him. It was only fair that someone kept the man company.

I darted between bunches of people in the corridors and ran back down the stairs again. Many nurses and doctors were giving me skeptical looks, since a teenager running around did look somewhat suspicious.