Chapter 11

Things finally started mellowing out. It may have taken a couple weeks, but I hadn't gotten beat up again or caught in a burning building. So, I'd like to think that things were looking up.

Andrea had been nonstop contacting me about my behaviour and that I was making silly, rash decisions. I only replied to the important messages so I didn't get in any actual trouble, but otherwise left her to stew in her own anger.

Despite the good things going for me, today was a bad day. There's no reason for today to be a bad day, it just is one. I feel tired and slow and every little sound sends chills down my entire body.

It was everyone's day off today and Bobby had organised a bbq at his home where everyone, even me, was invited. This would be the first time I was meeting their families too and it was a large social gathering. So, you can imagine my disappointment when I woke up and realised today was not a good day.

In fact, I was supposed to be at the local Target five minutes ago so Buck and Eddie could pick me up. No matter how many times I urged myself to step off the path to my house, I couldn't do it. My stomach rumbled uncomfortably and I physically flinched when my phone rung out in the street.

"Hey Blue, where are you? We were running a little late and we've just got to Target." Buck's voice rang out when I answered.

I pulled at the loose thread in my jeans and breathed deeply. "Uh sorry, I don't think I should go today." I mumbled, barely able to raise my voice to a normal level.

A shuffling noise and a click, then I could hear Eddie speaking to Chris. He must've put me on speaker. "Of course you should. The whole firehouse family is going to be there." Buck exclaimed. A physical ache spread through my head at the word 'family' and the guilt worsened.

How could Buck say the word so convincingly? Like I was a part of the family as much as everyone else.

"I-I don't want to spoil anything. My head is a bit rough today." It was a vague enough answer to convey how I felt.

"Bud, it's okay. You're not going to spoil anything and we understand if you're having an off day. We all have those and Buck knows just what you're going through, it's a part of his ADHD." Eddie explained.

But I wasn't diagnosed with ADHD like Buck, I'm just a teenager being stupid. "Cooper!" A voice that vaguely sounded like Chris came from the background. Jesus Christ on a motorbike that kid was cute.

"C-Can I wear your hoodie?"

"You can wear whatever makes you comfortable Coop."

With the promise that I'd be another five minutes, I darted inside to grab the LAFD hoodie. Buck hadn't asked for it back since the incident and always seemed giddy whenever I wore it around the firehouse. Child.

Running to the shop seemed to ease off part of the pressure in my head, something I was definitely grateful for. I glanced around, easily spotting Eddie's car. My hands were promptly stuffed into my pockets and I shuffled over, seeing the passenger side door already open.

"Fancy seeing you here." Buck teased from the backseat. Eddie patted the passenger seat and I climbed in carefully, "Hi Cooper!" Chris yelled from beside Buck. A small smile reached my lips and I greeted him, letting myself get engaged in whatever conversation he brought up.

Chris was a chatty kid and somehow brought the talkative side out of me. The two adults chimed in from time-to-time, but seemed content to listen to us.

"Did you know your DNA is fireproof?"

"We saw lions at the zoo, did you know-"

We both seemed to have a number of fun facts, all of which we spouted the entire car ride. It was enjoyable and the longer I interacted with Chris, the more I recognised just how similar he was to Eddie. Like father like son.