Chapter 10

"What's the verdict, doc?" Eddie teased as Buck guided me to the sofas. Thankfully, I had been discharged this morning as my injuries weren't serious. Which is why Buck decided to just take us straight to the firehouse for our day of work.

I flopped on to the sofa, rolling my eyes when Buck scolded me for my lack of carefulness. "Concussion is gone and apart from a lot of bruising, he's okay. His wrist is still a little swollen, so he has to have that sling on for today." I glared angrily at the stupid sling.

If Buck hadn't been there when the doctor was saying all of this, then I probably would've ignored it. How unfortunate for me.

Hen and Chim were happy to see me and apparently they'd been worried since they weren't able to see me last night. So much so that Hen had taken to sitting beside me on the sofa and fussing over me to make sure I wasn't in any pain.

The two boyfriends wandered off to the bunks, presumably so Buck could change into his uniform for the day. I was still in the clothes I was given last night but now I know where they came from.

Turns out I had a t-shirt from Bobby, some shorts from Eddie and Buck's LAFD hoodie. Everything was slightly baggy on me, especially the hoodie. Yet, I refused to take any of it off. This hoodie was mine now and Buck would have to fight me if he wanted it back.

It was soft and comfy- sue me.

Bobby walked out from his office and gently brushed his hand over my head as he passed. "I see you're feeling better, Buck gave me a heads-up on your injuries. I'm giving you the day off." He informed and I immediately protested.

"Come on Cap, please? I don't want to go home and I want to work. I'm fine, honest!" I stated as convincingly as possible.

The captain sighed and thought it over for a moment, "Nothing physical and the second you feel any pain I want to know. You understand?" I nodded eagerly, pretending to do 'scouts honour'.

The group laughed and Chim squeezed himself next to me on the sofa. They were wasting time until their first call of the day so we booted up Mario Kart. My wrist ached slightly, but it wasn't bad enough to stop me beating the old man beside me.

"You cheated!" He yelled and I stuck my tongue out.

"Get good old man."

"You little-"

I laughed as he was cut off by Hen giving him a look, one that insisted he refrains from finishing that sentence. We loaded up another race, Hen joining this time, and soon enough everyone was gathered to watch us play.

Bobby placed a plastic bag on the coffee table and I could see a little note with 'Cooper' stuck to it. "Athena got one of the nurses to wash your clothes from yesterday." He informed. I raised my eyebrows in surprise and awkwardly cleared my throat.

"Could you- uh, thank her? Athena I mean, could you tell her I said thank you?" It was understood that I was thanking her for not just the clothes, but for everything last night. Who knows what would've happened if Athena hadn't been there?

I grabbed the bag of clothes and shuffled to the toilets to get changed. Just as Bobby said, the clothes were freshly cleaned. Not a speck of dirt or blood from the night before was present. Even the stains I hadn't been able to clean for months had somehow disappeared from the clothes.

When I walked back out, I had the borrowed clothes in the plastic bag. Except for the hoodie. It was still very big, but I felt comfortable and refreshed for the first time in hours so I wasn't going to change.

The team smiled knowingly at me and I placed the bag down, "Thank you guys as well. For letting me borrow your clothes and, y'know, just being there." I said quietly, all of a sudden shy. They brushed it off, as humble and generous as ever.