Chapter 9

The soft cotton rubbed against my clean skin, the sight of blood nowhere to be found. Athena didn't tell me how she had managed to find me some clothes, but they were quite big on me and definitely not from the hospital. Still, I was grateful for her generosity.

Some nurses and the doctor had been in and out of the room, checking up on me and making sure it was nothing serious.

My shock had eased off a bit and I could see and think more clearly. My injuries were present, but they hadn't told me anything yet so I assume it wasn't important.

"Cooper."

I turned to the voice, blinking at the officer innocently. Athena smiled sadly, patting my hand that didn't have an IV in it. "We need to talk about what happened. If you're nervous to do it alone, there's some people waiting outside to see you. The team were worried when I called them after their shift." She explained.

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. A group of people were worried about me? A team?

Upon seeing my confusion, she strolled over the door and opened it up, speaking to whoever was outside. Soon enough, a few familiar faces entered the room. I know from previous experiences that you were only allowed three in a room, as not to crowd the patient.

Which is why Bobby and Eddie entered after Athena, yet Buck also entered out of stubbornness. I didn't mind really, at least now I know who brought me the clothes.

"How you feeling Blue?" Eddie spoke softly. His boyfriend's nickname for me brought a strange comfort and I rubbed at the tears springing up in my eyes. "I'm fine." I whispered, my voice cracking from the lack of use.

"Chim and Hen are in the lobby speaking to the doctor. They were worried, as are the rest of us." Bobby informed and I nodded, wincing at the pain it brought.

An odd silence filled the room and Athena sighed, gesturing for everyone to take a seat. I sat up in the bed, curling into the large hoodie I had been brought.

"Think you can talk to us about what happened?" She started and I gulped nervously. "If you talk to me now then I can regard it as a statement and you won't have to speak to anyone else." Athena promised.

I glanced around the room, catching the eyes of the four adults. I was okay here. These people aren't going to hurt me or at least they won't in a hospital.

"I-I was leaving the station and I walked back like normal." I began reciting the event to them, gradually seeing the anger and sadness fill their faces. "They started hitting me and I didn't fight back, I swear I didn't want any trouble. I didn't throw a single punch." I promised, desperation laced in my tone.

Buck placed a hand on the bed, his knuckles turning white due to his strong grip. "Why didn't you fight back? You should've defended yourself." He said angrily and I shook my head. "I can't get in anymore trouble, I'm on my last chance. I couldn't fight back, I can't risk getting into trouble again." I exclaimed, looking to Athena.

She only nodded, gesturing for me to continue. I let out a shaky breath, pinching at the skin on my fingers. "A man ran over and told them to stop. I looked up and saw one of the guys pull out a knife. Next thing I know, he's stabbed the guy and they've all run off. I told him to run- the man. I told him to run and he didn't. It's my fault he got hurt." I rambled on.

Tears pricked at my eyes again and I palmed them harshly, wishing I could disappear from this moment in time. I quickly felt an arm rest against my back and I flinched, only to feel another wrap around my front.

Someone was hugging me.

The action tore a sob from my lips and I curled up tighter, feeling the arms strengthen their hold. A stable body held me together and I didn't dare open my eyes at the risk of feeling embarrassed by my childish state.