Her Light(Nyssara)

Nyssa Al Ghul x Sara Lance

Takes place Before Arrow when Nyssa finds Sara.

     I was sailing on the coast of an island in the North China Sea when I found her. She was soaked and cold and afraid and weak. I quickly pulled her onto our boat and took her into my room to keep her warm. She was barely conscious and breathing heavily. Her body was shivering from the cold. I helped her into a warm shower and then gave her dry clothes. The color started to return to her face and she started looking more alive. I covered her in blankets and left her in my room for a bit so I could go and continue talking to the other members of the League.

         The others  kept telling me it was a bad idea to take her but I threw my rank in their face and told them we were taking her. I was the daughter of the demon they had to listen to me. I didn't know why I was so adamant on saving her. Usually I would just let people die. I mean I've even tortured and killed people. But there was something about her that made me want to protect her. I was scared of my father's reaction. He is Ra's Al Ghul head of the League of Assassins and is known to be particularly ruthless and heartless. I was trained to be the same. I didn't have a choice of anything else. I was forced to train, to fight, to torture, to kill, and to give up hope of any happiness. This was my life. Me alone. With nothing. Trying my best to be as ruthless and cruel as my father so that I could take over one day. I wanted to make him proud. Besides, I had to do what he said because he is Ra's Al Ghul, The Demon, leader of the League of Assassins.

          We started nearing my fathers castle in Nana Parbat. I felt my nerves tangle in my stomach. Was this a mistake? What would he think? What would he say? What would he do? He could very well kill her. Or even me if he wanted. I wouldn't put it past him. I walked over to the room where the girl was lying. She was asleep. I had been nursing her back to health slowly. She still looked weak and sickly but better than she looked when we found her. I walked up to her sleeping figure and gently brushed her hair out of her face. Her skin still felt warm to the touch. I slowly lifted her into my arms and carried her into the castle. My breath hitching with nerves unlike any I've ever felt before. I was terrified.

          My father allowed me to keep her in my room and help her for a bit before the ceremony. He said it would keep her at her best which he needed to see. I laid her down on my bed and made a few remedies for the fever and cold she caught. It was then that she woke up. I turned to her and carried the remedy over to give to her. I handed the bowl towards her and she lifted her shaky hands to grab it. I kept my hands on the bowl and helped her lift it to her lips. She drank the remedy and gave me a small nod as a thank you. I felt a smile fall on my lips. I nodded back.

           It was a few weeks later and she talked to me a bit. It was mostly thank you's and mentions of appreciation. I always responded with a gentle mention of how it wasn't a problem. She eventually informed me her name was Sara. I had already told her mine. By this point she was stronger and was even able to walk. My dad found out.

          He started setting up the ceremony as a way to show our strength. It would be the first  time Sara would be brought before my father. The time he would weigh her apprenticeship or execution. All future members of the League were shown this ceremony as they were introduced. Everyone was left awestruck and terrified by the ceremony as they could very easily be killed after. I wondered how Sara would react to it. She seemed gentle and kind. I suspected she might be afraid as she did seem intimidated by a lot. I understand that. She was taken from the sea and immediately whisked away into a new world she didn't know. But another part of me thought she wouldn't be. She seemed so much more innocent and light hearted than anyone else who ever passed through here. She also seemed brave. Everyone else here was completely broken. Crushed and destroyed by the world. Including me. But Sara didn't seem that way. She had a light inside her that no one else I'd ever met in my life did. I guess I'd have to wait and see.

          The ceremony started and everyone was doing their flips and tricks. They were all fighting and twirling their swords. There was blood and people falling left and right. The place was lit by candles encased by glass jars. I was hoping and praying my father would let Sara stay and not kill her. I wanted her to survive this more than anything. Ra's Al Ghul stepped forward and was showing her a demonstration of his power. This demonstration terrified all the people who came before her. I've seen it many times before and it still scares me a bit. It reminds me just how powerful my father is. How easy it would be for him to kill everyone here. Including me.

        I turned my attention to Sara and watched her intently, hoping she would survive. She didn't look afraid at all. And then she did something I never would have expected. She laughed. I felt a small smile on my face as everything except her blurred into the background. Her laugh was so innocent, so genuine. It was unlike anything I ever saw in my life. I felt my heart swell. I've never felt this before. But I felt my smile growing more and more as I saw her. Her blue eyes filled with light. Her face lit up. It was so genuine and I had never had anything like that here. All I knew was people broken to the point of no return. But that was not Sara. She is innocent and kind and gentle. She is unlike anything I'd ever seen before. And I felt a pull towards her. I wanted to be with her forever. Spend forever with her. I wanted to protect her.

          My attention was pulled back to my father as he decided to allow Sara to join the league. I felt a smile on my face. And let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding. A gust or relief swept through me. Sara was safe. She would join us. But that was quickly replaced by a soft bitterness. She would change. I knew she would. Everyone here does. I wanted to protect her from that. But I couldn't. I felt something for her which I never felt before in my life. She was innocent and kind which she could lose and I couldn't save her from that. I couldn't help her keep her light. I was broken beyond repair and there was no way someone as broken as me could protect her. This process could break her just like me. It could take her light which I was drawn to. And I couldn't protect her.

        As I was thinking I glanced over to see one of the jars was broken. It was still encasing the candle, holding it in place. This candle was burning brighter than the rest of the ones in the castle. The jar, although broken and worn down, helped the candle burn brighter than the others. It helped the candle keep its light. It even enhanced it. Sure the candle has to deal with elements it usually wouldn't but that made it stronger and brighter. And it was still offered protection and kept safe by a jar that was broken keeping it bright and strong. Maybe I could protect Sara and help her keep her light, or at least some of it,  after all.