Chapter 4

You followed Kanan outside the ship and into the large hangar bay, where Ezra and Chopper were waiting. "Ezra, we're going to try something a little different day," Kanan said with a wave of his hand.

"Anything is better than nothing," he responded, "which is all I have gotten so far."

Kanan raised an eyebrow at him, glancing back at you, "Master (Y/N), is going to train you today."

Ezra's eyes lit up, "a real Jedi Master?"

You chuckled but waved him off, "Kanan is a real master too, just because he doesn't have the experience I do, does not mean is not a worthy teacher."

Ezra nodded and looked at you expectantly, "start with your forms, walk them through slowly to start," you instructed. Ezra nodded, pulling out his small lightsaber and beginning his forms.

"I wished he respected me like that," Kanan leaned in, "I ask him to do the smallest things and he throws a fit."

"I think it has more to do with a new voice, than respect," you explained, "you just have to treat him more like an adult than a child."

"He is still young," Kanan responded, "sometimes I forget that he has been through more than most, matured faster than others."

You rested your hand on your chin, watching Ezra walk through the training forms, "what was his childhood like?"

Kanan lower his gaze, "maybe you should ask him, it's hard to relate to his upbringing when I was raised surrounded by others."

You nodded, watching as he finished his forms and looked at you waiting for his next instructions, "Ezra, come mediate with me, I want to talk."

Ezra came and sat next to you on the ground, legs crossed and facing you, "Kanan, why don't you join us," you said waving him over. Kanan looked at you in confusion, but sat next to both of you.

"Has Kanan taught you proper meditation yet?" you asked, lowering your hands to your knees.

Ezra nodded, "close my eyes and reach into the force."

You chuckled, "I want to try something a little different," you began, "I still want you to do those things, but I want you to stay engaged with me, I want to ask you some questions about your childhood."

Ezra's face lowered and he looked at Kanan, pleading to get out of it. "Ezra, if you are going to be a jedi, you have to admit your fears and your past," you explained, drawing his attention again, "sharing the burden with others, only strengthens your bond and lets you shift the weight of your past off your shoulders."

Ezra shook his head, "but I just want to forget about it."

You nodded in understanding, "it is hard, most padawan's do this at a much younger age. It will be harder for you because you have more pain to deal with than most, but it does make you stronger."

Ezra nodded, "will it feel better? Will I finally be able to advance my abilities?"

"The first step to the rest of your training is letting go," you explained, "letting go of your fears, your past, everything that hurts you. Only when you can find peace within yourself, can you truly be a jedi."

Ezra nodded slowly, closing his eyes and reaching into the force. You and Kanan did the same, finding Ezra within the force. You found Ezra, standing outside a small building in the capital city of Lothol, "this is where it all began," he whispered, once he felt you and Kanan arrive beside him, "the day my parents were taken from me."