march 25, 2022

Jamison•

I slowly lead Evie out to the water, just allowing her to get used to its coldness. I explain to her that it won't start warming up until May or June, so instead, we wear wetsuits to keep ourselves warm.

I carry her pink board, much smaller than the ones i'm used to, in one arm, and hold her small hand in the other.

"Okay, are you ready?" I question. She smiles.

"Yup!" Evie excitedly says. She's the spitting image of Alexa.

"Okay, so lay down on your stomach." I help her get up on the board, as she lays down, she waves at Alexa, happily sitting on the beach.

"Good, now, when the next wave comes, you're going to push up with your hands, and try to keep your feet even with the rest of your body. Make sense?" I ask. The young girl viscously nods her head.

"Do you want me to help keep the board straight when you go?" I ask her. She nods again.

"Alright, you ready for this?" I smile.

"Yeah!" She says.

As the next wave comes, she does just as I told her, and rides it, with the help of me keeping the board steady and straight.

"When you feel like the wave is dying, you can jump off the board, or, since I'm right here, you can just lay back down." I let her know. She hops off the board, into water that I'm standing in.

I turn around to grab her board, which has been pushed away by some of the smaller waves. I notice Alexa pop up from her chair, panicked. As I turn around, I see Evie struggling to stay above the water. Horror floods over me. I refuse to watch someone else get taken. I ditch the board, and dive back over to her.

As I pull her up, she gasps for air like she's never had a taste of it before. I squeeze her tight against my chest, as she sobs. Tears flood my eyes. Adrenaline coursing through my veins.

"God Kid Im so sorry," I apologize, as she just hugs me tighter, burying her face into my chest. Alexa stands just where the waves break, her eyes glued to her daughter.

"My board," She cries. I can't help but smile. The girl loves that precious pink board.

"Don't worry about it, I'll go get it. Let's get you back to your mom, okay?" She shivers in my arms, and lightly nods her head.

As we get closer to Alexa, all I can see is sheer horror in her eyes. Her lip trembles, as Evie leans into her mother. Alexa wraps her arms around her, as if she's been away from her for years.

"Hey it's okay baby. It's okay, moms right here." Alexa mutters into her daughters ear. I take a few steps away, to get the board, when Alexa stops me.

"Thank you." She wraps a spare arm around me, her body slightly shaking, tears roll down her cheeks.

"No problem," I tell her, the only thing I can do it engage in the hug.

"I'm going to get her her board," I say, loosing my grip. My mind races with thoughts. No one should have to experience the kind of pain it feels to lose someone they love.

"God never scare me like that again." Alexa slightly chuckles, as Evie looks her mother in the eyes. She glances over at me, then leans her forehead against Evies.

I slowly walk towards the pink board, that's now washed up on shore. The waves crash, as if they're taunting at the fine line between life and death.

I pick it up, on the bottom, a scribble of hand writing says "Evie Morgan" which looks like it's been written by a young girl. Evie.

I walk back towards the Morgan girls, Evie wrapped up in a towel, just beside her mother

"Here's that board kid," I smile. She takes the towel off, and wraps her arms around me. I hug her back.

She steps away, and smiles at me. The smile, one of the many features she shares with her mother, is an infectious one. She looks up at Alexa, who smiles down at her, then at me. I can't help but wrap my arms back around Evie.

"Jamison, will you be my friend?" Evie asks, wiping away a tear.

A smile grows on my face. She's so innocent and precious.

"I would love to." I say, a huge grin growing on her lips, Alexa's smile disappearing.