April 24, 2022

Jamison•

I drive to the familiar home. Just down the street from my old house. It has the Alexa touch on it. What that means, I don't know. But I know what it looks like. Feels like.

For the past week, Evie has talked my ear off about nothing but this daddy- daughter dance. She's so excited it makes me so happy.

She told me all about the dress she and her mother picked out, and how much she loves it. Now, it's my turn to see it.

I lightly knock on the door. Alexa opens it, a huge smile on her face.

Things have been strange between her and I, after we kissed on the beach. I cant tell if she wanted it to happen, or reluctantly kissed me back. Either way, it's awkward.

"She's just putting her shoes on," Alexa tells me. "You look great though."

"Thank you." I reply. She fixes the collar of my shirt. Her soft hands brushing my neck, the back of my head, my hair.

"You can come in." She smiles. I step into her home, much different from the first time I saw it.

Evie runs down the hall, into the living room, where Alexa and I patiently wait for her.

An adorable white dress, which looks perfect for Evie, and a pair of sparkly white shoes, make Evies brown hair look much darker. Her brown eyes stand out.

"Hey look at you!" I smile, as she hugs me. "You were right, this dress is amazing!"

"I told you!" She giggles, practically dragging me off the couch.

"Hang on Eve, let me grab my phone to take a picture." Alexa tells her.

Evie sits happily on my hip as Alexa picks her phone up off the counter. She snags a few pictures of Evie and I before we head out.

•••

Evie and I walk into her dance studio, a few of her friends greet us, all dressed up, pulling their fathers around the room.

A young woman walks around the room greeting each girl, and introducing herself to their parent.

"You must be Evies father," She smiles at me, shaking my hand. "I must say, she looks just like you." The blonde woman says.

"Oh, no I'm not her dad," I correct her. "Just a close family friend."

"My apologies." She says, embarrassed.

"No worries," I smile. "I'm Jamison." I claim.

"It's great to meet you, I'm Rylie." The woman says, slowly walking away, our eyes locking for just a moment too long.

Evie pulls me away, towards one of her friends. As they interact, I can't help but think about what Rylie said. She looks just like you.

I've never really noticed it, but now that I think about it, we share the same eye color, very similar face figures, and have nearly the same nose.

Some of our friends have mentioned our similar features. There's no denying that it's just a coincidence.

There's no way it would even be possible. Evie, being my daughter, is non sense. Evie is five, and Alexa moved six, almost seven years ago. There's no way that it is possible.

Alexa says her dad isn't in the picture, and she doesn't want him to be, leaving Evies father, a true mystery to everyone.